Bravo 1 behind 750hp? >

Bravo 1 behind 750hp?

Notices

Bravo 1 behind 750hp?

Old 11-18-2014, 06:39 PM
TGM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly 90% of my boating is on fairly calm water. Either the Mississippi River or mark twain lake. We go down to loto 2-3 times a year but avoid the busy days other then the shootout. Lakes just to rough for the gf. It's in a 29 fountain fever. Been running around 600hp for 2 years with no drive issues, but now I'm going to a 420 blower and dual carbs. The shop is going through the drive while they do the motor to help make it live, but just wondering how many people have made em live with this kind of power.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Its not a question of if anybody can make them last because they won't, it is a question of how long can you make them last before they give in.. Not trying to be a smart a$$ just how it is. The bravo is a good drive if used as designed. Ask me how I know! Trust me and the others who try to give you the info you need to make an educated decision. If you proceed with the motor build the drives may last for a while but you will need to budget for drive repairs. Good luck with your project! I think you unfortunately have contracted the dreaded boating Horsepower sickness most of us have been living with for some time now!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:24 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

The way I see it (and will be living it) is I can buy three or more spare bravos at $2K each for way less than a 700hp rated drive (that might also break as well)
just my .02
Old 11-18-2014, 07:58 PM
CAB
Registered

Put over 100hrs. On a bravo xr behind 900 plus hp. Just rebuilt it after 3 years. It is on a 26 Ft Checkmate which is about a 4000lb boat. 90 percent of my boating is on river or lake
Old 11-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SB
You can do it easily with just a bolt and nut. May cost you $2.00-$4.00 if regular bolt or stainless.

Weld on throttle bracket so that bolt threads and nut face your carb or throttle body's linkage. Adjust so that your carb or throttle body's arm can only rotate about 60% open.

Or you can splurge and spend like $20.

Where can I get one of these for the wife? 60% would be tolerable
Old 11-19-2014, 08:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 593 Likes on 273 Posts

And get a SeaTOW membership.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Registered

Like many have said, just use common sense and you will be fine. You can run it as fast as you want just don't hammer it getting on plane and roll into the throttle and keep the props wet and you'll be fine. I hear all the neg stuff, and you can break them if you try, but I ran 950hp through bravo 1's on a 42 fountain at 110mph for several yrs with minimal problems
Old 11-19-2014, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Honestly 90% of my boating is on fairly calm water. Either the Mississippi River or mark twain lake. We go down to loto 2-3 times a year but avoid the busy days other then the shootout. Lakes just to rough for the gf. It's in a 29 fountain fever. Been running around 600hp for 2 years with no drive issues, but now I'm going to a 420 blower and dual carbs. The shop is going through the drive while they do the motor to help make it live, but just wondering how many people have made em live with this kind of power.
The lake I boat on is similar to yours and I did not have drive problems until I got the boat running in the mid 90's and then it started to brake the gears in the uppers , my boat is a straight bottom 35 fountain
Old 11-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by abones
Its not a question of if anybody can make them last because they won't, it is a question of how long can you make them last before they give in.. Not trying to be a smart a$$ just how it is. The bravo is a good drive if used as designed. Ask me how I know! Trust me and the others who try to give you the info you need to make an educated decision. If you proceed with the motor build the drives may last for a while but you will need to budget for drive repairs. Good luck with your project! I think you unfortunately have contracted the dreaded boating Horsepower sickness most of us have been living with for some time now!
We have a winner.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Have a spare drive on hand ready to swap cause you will break during a beautiful streak of hot weather, or upgrade to a non bravo gear based drive.

My personal expierence, get on plane normal and drive fast, free the hull up a little, and enjoy the boat. Driving like a grandma and not enjoying the boat for what it is.....why even have the power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.