TRS bellhousing, bellows flange broken >

TRS bellhousing, bellows flange broken

Notices

TRS bellhousing, bellows flange broken

Old 11-26-2014, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRS bellhousing, bellows flange broken

I pulled the drives to inspect, change bellows, sort corrosion, and repaint TRS drives from my 85 Scarab. I just purchased the boat so am learning as I go. When I pulled the driveshaft bellows off the bellhousing the bottom quarter of the bellows flange is broken off. It looks to be an old break and the breaks appear to have been circumferential, so no cracks continuing on into the bellhousing. There was no evidence of water intrusion through this area and the bellows I removed was on securely.

Is this something that experienced folks would replace? Or since there appears to be half of the normal flange remaining and it was functional before, is it something that you would put back into service?

Thanks,
Mike

http://postimg.org/image/j0c3te7lb/
http://postimg.org/image/5i57h3vfz/
Old 11-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You would definitely want to replace that bellhousing with out a doubt. You got the thing off now is the time to do it right. There easy to find. Usually several on ebay. That's nothing but a problem waiting to happen. When you put your hinge pins back in be sure to use locktite on them!

Last edited by picklenjim; 11-26-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I sold you mine I would deduct the 13% eBay would charge to be involved plus another 10% just because
Old 11-27-2014, 02:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

same thing happened to mine. i repaired it by machining out the broken section and then machining a ring the same dimension with the groove ,then cutting out the needed section from the ring . it fit perfectly then welded it .make sure casting is super clean where you are going to weld .
mark
Old 11-27-2014, 07:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mike77
I pulled the drives to inspect, change bellows, sort corrosion, and repaint TRS drives from my 85 Scarab. I just purchased the boat so am learning as I go. When I pulled the driveshaft bellows off the bellhousing the bottom quarter of the bellows flange is broken off. It looks to be an old break and the breaks appear to have been circumferential, so no cracks continuing on into the bellhousing. There was no evidence of water intrusion through this area and the bellows I removed was on securely.

Is this something that experienced folks would replace? Or since there appears to be half of the normal flange remaining and it was functional before, is it something that you would put back into service?

Thanks,
Mike

http://postimg.org/image/j0c3te7lb/
http://postimg.org/image/5i57h3vfz/
I have tons of TRS parts all freshwater, from complete drives to a lock nut.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:22 PM
Registered

Thanks. I'll replace or repair.

Mike