New Upper and Lower Question >

New Upper and Lower Question

Notices

New Upper and Lower Question

Old 11-29-2014, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Upper and Lower Question

I'm newer to high performance boats and looking for ways to go faster. Other than going to different combinations to handle increased horsepower, do they increase MPH with the same motor? I currently have a 525 EFI with an XR.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Typically the drive your boat came with is the fastest and any modifications are to beef up the unit for reliability with heavier parts which actually slows you down. Think of adding heavier wheels to your car to prevent flats. The exception is the X dimension which is shortening/lengthening the drive. That's very boat specific though with mixed results.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

X dimension is the height of the crank centerline in relation to the bottom. What your describing is changing the prop shaft height
Old 11-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Registered

Thanks for both responses, very helpful. Lil Red if I change that, would that increase my speed? I'm at 19" and do get blow out from time to time if I get into the throttle to fast getting on plane. I've got a Bravo 1 28 at 5100ish. Wasn't sure if going to a 26 would benefit, but thought I would redline.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:49 AM
Registered

I have a 2004 29' Fever 525. 19.5" X. 26" B1. Never have a problem getting on plane or experience blowout. I always drop the tabs and tuck the drive. Top speed is 78 with drive at 4.5 and tabs all the way up occasionally bumping the limiter. My Fountain performance report said the boat ran 80 with this prop. I have heard some don't like running the 28" stock B1 b/c of slow planing times. I tried a 28" labbed B1. Top speed was 81 but slower to plane. X is already high on our boats. I would be cautious about changing your X since you already have occasional blowout unless you find another 29 owner who can detail what results they received from their modifications.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:09 PM
Registered

Wonder why they changed the X by that 1/2". Your set up sounds optimal. I'm at 76. Need a little more education. I would have thought spinning a lower pitch would increase rpm and get more mph. Your experience was the opposite. I agree the 28 takes too long to plane. Maybe having BBlades put their recipe on my 28 is my best option. Some have said the Hydro P5X may also work. With that I would think the extra blade would decrease top end, but improve getting on plane.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:50 PM
Registered

I remember speaking with someone a few years ago that was spinning a B1 non-labbed 28 and getting 80. If you are getting less it could be that your prop isn't quite perfect. It may be ever so slightly bent or out of balance that you can't see with the naked eye. Reason why I was getting that speed with the labbed 28 was that the labbing process thins the blades and better balances the prop, along with other secretive voodoo that allows the prop to spin up 2-300 more rpms than a standard prop. The holeshot was the same as the 26" and gave me extra top speed. I didn't want to spend the extra $1100 bucks at the time so I kept the 26. I'm assuming your 525 is running 100%. You may want to check the plugs just in case. And I assume you are running with the tabs all the way up and the drive at 4.5. Some might say to check your bottom but that's probably not your problem. The other question is are you using a digital gps for the speed? My Livorsi speedo is off 1-2 mph from my separate gps unit even though it gets the signal from that gps. From everything that I have read, the 29 runs best with Bravo props. If you could borrow a 26, that would be your easiest way to diagnose. Or just buy one - either a regular 26 or a labbed 28. The labbed 28 prop would take you to 5300-5400 rpms and 79-80 mph. Buy it brand new to make sure you aren't getting someone else's crap. If you don't like it, you can always put it on ebay and recover a decent amount of your original expense. If you like what you bought, sell your original or keep as a spare. Good luck.