Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
External power steering range?  Results with bravo drive and or extensions? >

External power steering range? Results with bravo drive and or extensions?

Notices

External power steering range? Results with bravo drive and or extensions?

Old 12-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External power steering range? Results with bravo drive and or extensions?

Occasionally we run in areas with high currents and traffic or engage in water sports so low and high speed handling are desirable. I am moving into a performance boat from a turn on a dime tournament ski boat since performance boats have more versatility for family adventures (room to nap, rough water handling). With a stock set up, how much is the steering range restricted by adding external power steering systems? The Bravo 1 has around a 56 degree range stock, from what I've measured and calculated I will have a 36 degree range after adding external power steering and a drive extension. Does this seem right? Will this provide reasonable performance/maneuverability? Does anyone have experience with a stern jack or imco gimbal housing/drive upper spacer and mayfair or other external power steering? Will the extension, putting the drive further aft and to the side make up for the decreased of angle (longer rudder)? I am trying to decide on the best rigging (steering mount offset and spacers) before drilling into a freshly cored and gelcoated transom.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:26 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a Nautique and have had many performance boats. Don't worry about the external steering and being able to maneuver. 36 degrees is enough. Thrust is what is really what turns the boat. Docking and so forth is much easier with a stern drive than an inboard. You will miss the fast planing and silk shifting. I think the most important factor that you will have to compromise on is prop shaft depth. Most performance guys want to raise the shaft as high as possible to reduce drag. This generally will result in faster top speed but generally means more prop slip coming on plane and decreased planing speed. This can be managed some be 5 blade props etc....
You didn't mention the type of boat you were going to but you might want to test drive one and see what you think. Extension boxes and external steering are very expensive, you want to know whether they are a smart purchase for you.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:48 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Well put ^^^^
Old 12-12-2014, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement, this is all new to me. The modifications are being done to our 1987 Centurion Dominator 24. I am adding a stern jack, HP transom assembly, mayfair power steering, lenco 21 inch performance trim tabs to the back end and adding the HP500 performance package to the engine. There weren't many Dominators made between the 86-88 production run, so data on performance is thin. The boat works well for us & I 've upgraded the engine, reupholstered, redecked and added fuel capacity over the years. It is a big change from the promotional nautiques of my past.