Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Drive discussion: trs.  3's. And 5's >

Drive discussion: trs. 3's. And 5's

Notices

Drive discussion: trs. 3's. And 5's

Old 01-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

you can buy 2 spare trs drives cheaper than a bravo xr gearset.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

you missed the point...it has to do with availability and not cost. i just browsed the classifieds section and only saw 1 trs for sale. in my search i noticed about 2 dozen bravos for sale. im not arguing the fact that trs, 3's, and 5's arent better...they are. its availability and that scares people. especially up here in the northeast where our summers are short. breaking something during the season could suck if you cant find parts especially gear cases/housings. many of the existing ones out there are in pretty terrible shape.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

But what about transmission? No one seems to care about having trannies! That is what i had problems with! That is what i would get rid of and make me go bravo!

When you want to check transmission fluid, you need to have the boat level up to a certain point, oil warm so running engines is a must, then when you turn the ignition off, you have to litterally run down to tranny to check oil level before it goes back in the cooler and level runs low...

Thats a pita in itself imo. Still for those drives even if trannie needed? What do you guys do with those? Keep a spare trannie as well?
Old 01-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
you missed the point...it has to do with availability and not cost. i just browsed the classifieds section and only saw 1 trs for sale. in my search i noticed about 2 dozen bravos for sale. im not arguing the fact that trs, 3's, and 5's arent better...they are. its availability and that scares people. especially up here in the northeast where our summers are short. breaking something during the season could suck if you cant find parts especially gear cases/housings. many of the existing ones out there are in pretty terrible shape.
Good point, availability first problem, price would be secondary but of course could become a problem if overpriced,, but if price is not an object, you re right, if you cant find the part, you re stuck watching boats from the dock!
Old 01-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Justin, nothing like a bravo at all. The forgings of the gears is much stronger. Whether it be the alloy or the forging process, they dont wear like an xr gear and they don't have a cone clutch to wear and drop metal filings.
Jeff32 how were you having issues with transmissions? If they are built right they outlast a trs drive? Most issues I've seen with them is the pressure and flow weren't checked after the build.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told that if you run a trs boat.you need to have a left hand drive,a right hand drive,and one trans,all for spares if you ever need a spare.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Should prob keep a spare motor then also
Old 01-02-2015, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 4,313 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
Konrads - Very high on my list, would be great for my needs.
How much power you think you going to make?
I don`t know your set up but SCX would be much higher on my list if considering Konrads.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 4,313 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Gary isn`t the only one that has parts for the SSM, theres Bam and others, when I needed parts I just had to make a few phone calls, but yes you can`t walk into a Merc. dealer and place an order. I found a brand new set of 5`s still in the box when I was looking.

This is the one the reasons a SSM drive is much stronger, the load is shared equally between two shafts. Obviously everything is bigger (gears etc) also .

The straight cut gears in my drives are pretty beefy, the intermediate shaft sheared and the top gears were unhurt.

Found all these parts couple years ago

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 01-02-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
How much power you think you going to make?
I don`t know your set up but SCX would be much higher on my list if considering Konrads.
was originally looking to do a pair of 525SC clones, had them on the 38 Donzi and i really liked them. Now doing 540 AK Racing "Bravo punishers" with hopped up Merc 500EFI stuff that dyno'd right around 640hp and 700+ tq. My boat is a Bravo HP boat and was fine but with the new setup gotta start thinkin ahead. The Konrads would be fine and i have faith in them for this setup if i go that route, more then any Bravo variant anyway. Just thinking out loud at the moment and exploring the options.

what are the input shaft to output shaft dimensions (vert distance) for the SSM3,4 and 5?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 01-02-2015 at 03:43 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.