Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Any feedback on Stainless Gimble?? >

Any feedback on Stainless Gimble??

Notices

Any feedback on Stainless Gimble??

Old 01-18-2015, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts
Default Any feedback on Stainless Gimble??

Has anyone used the following stainless gimble ring? http://www.hillmarine.net/Mercruiser...ing-p/ssgr.htm

My gimble ring has some play in the upper pin. I was thinking of doing the J&R Marine kit for the swivel pin replacement. I won't know if my gimble ring needs to be repaired or replaced till I take it apart and inspect. This stainless ring looks like a nice option.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2015, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
Has anyone used the following stainless gimble ring? http://www.hillmarine.net/Mercruiser...ing-p/ssgr.htm

My gimble ring has some play in the upper pin. I was thinking of doing the J&R Marine kit for the swivel pin replacement. I won't know if my gimble ring needs to be repaired or replaced till I take it apart and inspect. This stainless ring looks like a nice option.

Thanks
I just did the JR kit, my rings were still in good shape so I just put the new pins in and reinstalled. I believe JR also rebuilds your ring for $275. The kit was pretty easy and I made my own tools. (did both at same time) No more slack!
Old 01-18-2015, 10:09 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Heard its not a perfect fit but will work with a tad bit of grinding to something along those lines. I was going to test fit one down the road but have not as of yet. the source who told me this was very reliable.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by nailit
I just did the JR kit, my rings were still in good shape so I just put the new pins in and reinstalled. I believe JR also rebuilds your ring for $275. The kit was pretty easy and I made my own tools. (did both at same time) No more slack!
I just read your posts on the J&R kit. Thanks for the feedback. As soon as the weather breaks I'm going to remove the drive and use the J&R kit. I am hoping my ring is in good shape, but just wanted a backup plan incase the ring needs to be repaired or replaced.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Heard its not a perfect fit but will work with a tad bit of grinding to something along those lines. I was going to test fit one down the road but have not as of yet. the source who told me this was very reliable.
Thank you for the response! After doing some more research last night it appears this is the same as the Cox brand. I read a few negatives about it. After my research and your comment it looks like it's a no go for me. I am going to be looking into the IMCO ring if mine needs repair. It looks like a stronger piece than the Mercury for only a few hundred dollars extra.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:54 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for the PM and have to run for bit I will Pm you back later so look for it. That was very welcomed on your part thank you. John
Old 02-12-2015, 12:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
I am Bill Auberlen from X Power Drive. If you are looking for a gimbal ring we have the best in the business. It's a complete stainless replacement and it is 300% stronger than the stock HP ring. It is a direct replacement with zero modifications necessary to install it and to top it off we guarantee it for LIFE!!! That is something you never hear about in the boating world. They come completely polished like a mirror with all parts necessary for the install. We sell them ready to go for $1,500.00. If you need one give us a call.

Bill Auberlen
X Power Drive
805-320-5631
xpowerdrive.com

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-19-2015, 09:07 AM
mtm
Registered

i have installed a few stainless cox rings and can say they fit and they are stout

Last edited by mtm; 02-19-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:29 PM
Registered

Thank You all
Old 02-19-2015, 11:03 PM
Registered

Shoot me for the stupid question, but how do you know when these parts a failing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.