Stern Power drives

Notices

Stern Power drives

Old 01-27-2015, 09:55 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Stern Power drives

Whats the story on these things? Had a guy call me yesterday looking for some info but i'm pretty limited on these things. What kind of power can they handle? Can they be modded to handle more? Parts available? He had an associate that picked up a boat with 900+ HP and a blown SP drive and was looking at options. Unfortunately i dont think there are many in this case. Says he found a guy that has a built SP drive for sale ($10K) that will handle the HP but i am skeptical of any ability to do anything to these drives over how they were originally. I told him to turn down the boost and go have fun otherwise go easy on it, there really is no sugar coating this scenario. Its in a 28 Profile cat with a single, i also suggested if he was gonna do anything save a few more bucks and swap in a SSM5 or Arneson or ??? . . . . ..

So, anyone have any experience with these?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 01-27-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

People swear by them. If he wants a spare i know a guy near me just replaced his transom on a supe and has whole SP setup. I think cheap...apparently somebody resurrected the company and is supplying parts.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Google sternpower , Wells Maine .
Old 01-27-2015, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.sternpowr.com/
There's the link to their site. Had Stern Powr drive on an old Cheetah 24/7 back in the day. Had a single BBC in it that was fairly well built, and never broke the drive.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've seen 850-900HP thru them on a single 28' Back in the day.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:49 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

man . . .sure aint much on that site . . . good to know there is a parts source tho.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-27-2015, 12:02 PM
Registered

archer marine has a few for sale I was researching them the guy on the web site I forget his name at stern power was very informative talked for half hour about them most parts are available thru him except the cases are hard to come by he can rebuild the internals they still do a lot of work for the military with there normal style drives so I guessing they will be around for a while he swears they are as strong as a speedmasters not sure if he meant a 6 or 8 but def the 3 4 5 drives
Old 01-27-2015, 12:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshore312
There's the link to their site. Had Stern Powr drive on an old Cheetah 24/7 back in the day. Had a single BBC in it that was fairly well built, and never broke the drive.
This is a Cheetah 24/7 BBC turbo w/ stern powr drive.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536230[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Stern Power drives-14497957336_6983905925_c.jpg  
Old 01-27-2015, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Had them on my Sonic. MX-7. Good thing is, you don't need any special tools to work on them or set them up. Very basic. I had a manual that I gave with the boat. It was straight forward. At the time, not sure if it is still true, it was difficult to get props. That was the only problem I remember. They are beefy. I only had 500 HP to them at the time and they do require a transmission.
Attached Thumbnails Stern Power drives-withcover.jpg   Stern Power drives-100_0575.jpg  
Old 01-28-2015, 12:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
Whats the story on these things? Had a guy call me yesterday looking for some info but i'm pretty limited on these things. What kind of power can they handle? Can they be modded to handle more? Parts available? He had an associate that picked up a boat with 900+ HP and a blown SP drive and was looking at options. Unfortunately i dont think there are many in this case. Says he found a guy that has a built SP drive for sale ($10K) that will handle the HP but i am skeptical of any ability to do anything to these drives over how they were originally. I told him to turn down the boost and go have fun otherwise go easy on it, there really is no sugar coating this scenario. Its in a 28 Profile cat with a single, i also suggested if he was gonna do anything save a few more bucks and swap in a SSM5 or Arneson or ??? . . . . ..

So, anyone have any experience with these?
Dave I had them on my Klem Gems back in the 70's they started out being used on the River Queen houseboats, the drives were made by Dana. The early sternpowr drivers were mechanical shift that could not be shifted much over 800rpms or they self destruct & they had the club foot lower just like the Dana drive. The later ones [SP & SSP] had B&W transmissions & were strong for there time, the SP had just a nose cone as SSP was there speed master type drive. . Also they had no power trim untill I showed Klem how to put trim on them. his version was ruff. I also then made the pattern for a nose cone & made some aluminum ones up @ Wolverine casting but once again Klem gave them to Sternpowr & that became the SP drive. The Sp drives later used a Merc Trs props & the SSP drive used a Merc # 3 props. The drivers were easy to work on & the bearings can be found @ any industrial supply house. Klems sold many of his boats with these early drives on then with his crude handy work & then mated used car engines to them. There was also a BX version as well and looks good but I know nothing about them. Mark
Attached Thumbnails Stern Power drives-sp-2.jpg   Stern Power drives-dana-drive.jpg   Stern Power drives-donzi-28-h2o-101.jpg  

Stern Power drives-stern-p-1.jpg   Stern Power drives-stern-p-bx.jpg  

Last edited by h2oboater; 01-28-2015 at 12:59 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.