Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Will converting to a Bravo ITS with standoff box hurt or help performance >

Will converting to a Bravo ITS with standoff box hurt or help performance

Notices

Will converting to a Bravo ITS with standoff box hurt or help performance

Old 04-03-2015, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will converting to a Bravo ITS with standoff box hurt or help performance

I am adding hydraulic steering to my boat but am wondering if changing out my drive to an ITS with standoff box would be the way to go. Boat is a Nordic 25' Rage 2010 with a b1X 26 P 4 blade prop.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know but I am doing that with my 288 sunation
Old 04-05-2015, 12:08 PM
Registered

I figure that's the way it would have come from the factory since my boat is a newer vintage. I don't want to put old technology in a newer boat.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:15 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

It depends.

You are changing the thrust angle/leverage point of the boat. You may end up having to go to a shorty drive. At a minimum, you will do likely do some prop tuning/tweaking.

ITS are nice, clean setups, BUT you must take the covers off the outer section and clean everything inside, regularly (fresh or salt). They get wet and will corrode.

When it comes to strength, nothing beats hydraulic rams coming off the transom at a 45* angle to a drive bolted to the transom.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:47 AM
Registered

Thanks Sydwayz. That's what I was thinking. It's kind of like adding a stern jack that land and sea used to sell for bravo drives. My boat has a high X dimension from the factory so I figure it should put my drive deeper when getting on plane and allow me to not have to trim up as high. My boat runs fastest when the drives are trimmed all the way up and the prop is throwing a rooster tail. I'm sure it's hard on the prop surfacing. I could be totally off since I have no experience with either setup on my boat. I'm going to contact Nordic for their opinion.