Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Never Change your Drive Lube and your Driver will last for EVER!!!! >

Never Change your Drive Lube and your Driver will last for EVER!!!!

Notices

Never Change your Drive Lube and your Driver will last for EVER!!!!

Old 04-14-2015, 07:45 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Isn't te reservoir just the over flow ?

If I where to do it his way, I'd pull the lower drain and hook up my pump. You'll lose 1/2 quart just doing that, and then you put it in the right way. From bottom up.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe if macys changed the oil they would get 500k out of the engines?
Old 04-14-2015, 09:07 PM
Registered

I agree in theory it does kinda make sense and I applaud the outside of the box idea but no way I'd personally want to deal with that hassle every few hours....especially not on the Bravo style that has to remove the prop to get to the drain plug, then screw around getting a drain pan ready, getting dirty, pumping in more oil, then trying to put the drain screw back in before losing too much fluid. I don't see that being a fun job ever other weekend all summer. Just my 2 cents but if it works for you then all good
Old 04-14-2015, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't mess around, I change mine every 10 minutes. Then I know it's fresh. Seriously, when you drain a bit at a time, replace and run, it all mixes together, so what you are draining out is actually some of the new, leaving the old. Think about it....
Old 04-15-2015, 12:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mbobb
I agree in theory it does kinda make sense and I applaud the outside of the box idea but no way I'd personally want to deal with that hassle every few hours....especially not on the Bravo style that has to remove the prop to get to the drain plug, then screw around getting a drain pan ready, getting dirty, pumping in more oil, then trying to put the drain screw back in before losing too much fluid. I don't see that being a fun job ever other weekend all summer. Just my 2 cents but if it works for you then all good
That is why you don't have to hassle with a pump or hoses, just remove the prop remove the plug drain the the worst oil from the bottom of the drive, put the plug back in and prop on, top off the bottle. done
Old 04-15-2015, 01:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
I don't mess around, I change mine every 10 minutes. Then I know it's fresh. Seriously, when you drain a bit at a time, replace and run, it all mixes together, so what you are draining out is actually some of the new, leaving the old. Think about it....
You are right, the new oil will mix with the old, but that is the key, the oil that is protecting the drive is very very clean compared to the the 25 to 50 hour oil that needs to be changed. I would change all the oil at the end of the year with all fresh, then 5 hours into the next years run time. do the drain and top off during the season every 5 hours or what number works for you.

Just remember that the less hour between drain and top off you do the cleaner the oil becomes, and also the more hours between the drain and top offs you do, oil become dirtier. Sure you could change all the oil every 5 hours, this would require the oil to be pumped up from the bottom to prevent oil pockets, longer drain time, and more oil. I agree that would be the best protection possible. On the other hand, the replacement method I said is faster and very easy to do. I know that the easier and faster a task can be done, then the is a better chance I will do it LOL

My main point once again is to stop using dirty and broken down lube the last 15 hours in the drive. Ask yourself, which oil do you want protecting your nice expensive gears and bearings 5-10 hour oil or 25-30 hour oil???
I have done this and the oil will always look almost like new ALL the time and not dirty like before!!

Last edited by zgoo; 04-15-2015 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many hours do you boat in one season?
Old 04-15-2015, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Seriously, this is a strong contender for dumbest thread ever on OSO.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go right ahead....I'll pass
Old 04-15-2015, 10:40 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Seriously, this is a strong contender for dumbest thread ever on OSO.
Well.

If you wax 1/4 of your boat every other week-end you will ............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.