Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Drive Showers - advice/recommendations? >

Drive Showers - advice/recommendations?

Notices

Drive Showers - advice/recommendations?

Old 05-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Drive Showers - advice/recommendations?

Considering installing drive showers. Bravo 1 XR Sportmaster drives, Latham Ext steering with plate on top of plate for tie bar. The plate has threaded center hole that I think I have seen some showers that screw into this plate, pickup located on outside corner of cavitation plate.

Any recommendations, land mines to avoid? Have you had a good experience with drive showers? Never have used in all my boats......

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi imartin

I can't comment on the type of set-up you may have- a picture would be of benefit for those "in the know" for sure not me!!.

I do know that I put a drive shower on my Bravo III. I can't tell you how great that little option is. First most people don't realize the amount of heat that is generated in your drive- and most of the time it is out of the water when on plane. Then when you come off of plane there is the thermal shock to the system when it hits the cooler water. Something has got to give. For sure the shower does help cool of the entire drive- that is a huge plus - and most likely add a little longevity to it. The other benefit is that there isn't any of the chauking from hard water drying on the drive-- much less to clean.

regarding the brand - I purchased mine from -- http://www.allamericandriveservice.com/index.html- I have NO relationship with these guys - but I will say they bent backwards to help this novice.

All the best

3pointstar
Old 05-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same plate on my center drive. It's a 1/2" NPT female thread. So you all you need is a 1/2" MPT x -08 AN 90 degree elbow to screw into the plate. Then connect the stainless hose to the -08 fitting end and the other end of the hose to your water pickup on the cavitation plate.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HyFive578
I have the same plate on my center drive. It's a 1/2" NPT female thread. So you all you need is a 1/2" MPT x -08 AN 90 degree elbow to screw into the plate. Then connect the stainless hose to the -08 fitting end and the other end of the hose to your water pickup on the cavitation plate.
oh, ok. Sounds fairly simple. Is this a homemade set up???? Pics?
Old 05-12-2015, 06:53 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by imartin
oh, ok. Sounds fairly simple. Is this a homemade set up???? Pics?
No, not home made setup. Bought from Teague. Don't have direct shot of top of center drive, but here's what I do have.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540950[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]540951[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]540952[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Drive Showers - advice/recommendations?-image.jpg   Drive Showers - advice/recommendations?-image.jpg   Drive Showers - advice/recommendations?-image.jpg  

Old 05-12-2015, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually have been thinking of drive showers too. I only have a 30 Outlaw with 496 Mags. I will say I've looked at Lathem's, and they are almost $200.00. Livorsi has their own, as well as Hardin Marine. It's interesting to see the differences in mounts on the cav. plate between the two. Some have the bolt/nut in front of the pickup, some have it in the rear of the pickup. Anyways, I had an 04 30 same power, I put 250 hours on the boat. This boat I have 200 hours. I am just bored and am sick of seeing the top empty hole in the Lathem plate..lol....I did call Mercury Racing today for the hell of it. A tech guy was very nice to actually take the call and he did not recommend the use of a shower for my application or for any of the Mercury racing engines/drive combo's for that matter.

Interesting point, I had a 25 Outlaw with a HP500 Carb with a Bravo 1 drive. It came with a shower, I blew the upper gear case around 170 hrs.

All and all I probably won't run one as I don't want to drill the cav. plates since I do swap the drive positions every 100 hours or so.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:06 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^^ is this Joey above ?
Old 05-13-2015, 03:45 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HyFive578
No, not home made setup. Bought from Teague. Don't have direct shot of top of center drive, but here's what I do have.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540950[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]540951[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]540952[/ATTACH]
Did your boat come with the ITS setup from the factory, or did you add that later? I like it
Old 05-13-2015, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BUP
^^^^ is this Joey above ?
What's up buddy? You coming around NY to see your brother soon?
Old 05-13-2015, 07:23 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Bawana
Did your boat come with the ITS setup from the factory, or did you add that later? I like it
Came with it from the factory. I like it too. Aside from the performance aspects, it makes the transom a lot neater too; eliminating the side tie bars.