Notices

Alpha 1 no go!

Old 06-01-2015, 10:51 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

forgot one thing more for worn couplers - coupler bolts loosen or a few sheared off.

depending on shop and labor rate 5 to 9 hundred to pull the drive, engine and interior then put all back together - check alignment, then final finish. then add whatever the price of the coupler is. If that is all they are doing.

The big question is if they are good and honest - they will find something else that will need to be address. I know I would find something whether minor or of concern. There is never just one thing wrong that needs only one part to proper fix it 100 % , Always something else that will be added as another something found once you get digging.

I am saying this not as racking up the bill against the boat owner. I am saying this because of experience especially the older a boat gets.

words of experience - You always have to play detective and do detective work with boats - you have to find what caused the problem first - fix that cause or causes and then fix the damage parts after that so it does nt happen again. .

Last edited by BUP; 06-01-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Makes perfect sense, I am ok with spending additional money over and above the price of the coupler. I know that other issues will be found, and fully expect to address them as long as the foundation of the boat is strong and I can continue using it reliably for years to come. Would love to purchase a newer powerboat one day! Until then, I'm hoping I can resolve this issue within a reasonable price point and continue enjoying the water with my family.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Where are you located?
Perhaps somebody on OSO could recommend a trusted shop for second opinion. Not that a boat shop would take advantage of a non-technical customer or anything!!!
Heck it's only $2K
Old 06-02-2015, 08:52 PM
Registered

I'm located in Atlanta, Ga. The boat is located on Lake Lanier which is 30 minutes north of the city. Would be appreciative of some recommendations!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Registered

Update..

I gave the shop the go ahead. They pulled the drive off today and found some cracked bellows, a bad gimbal bearing and of course coupler material on the splines of the prop shaft. I told them to go ahead and replace all. Hoping to have the boat back for the weekend!

Anything else to have them look at while they have the Boat apart?

Thanks
Old 06-04-2015, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1986Scarab1
Update..

Anything else to have them look at while they have the Boat apart?

Thanks
it is a 30 year old boat. engine, drive, transom...but seriously, have them do the lower shift cable. it can be replaced with engine in, but is not fun.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:34 AM
Registered

"and of course coupler material on the splines of the prop shaft.":
Somebody please help me out here. How in earth do you get coupler material on the prop shaft???
Shouldn't the coupler material be confined to Bell housing and bilge of boat.
Unless he is referring to input shaft it just makes no sense to me.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, the input shaft does turn the prop...eventually. i think the guy just said wrong shaft. Or it is prop hub material, which is technically coupler material.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
Well, the input shaft does turn the prop...eventually. i think the guy just said wrong shaft. Or it is prop hub material, which is technically coupler material.

While the material may be "technically the same" the problem and solution are FAR from "technically the same"
If it is on the prop shaft it is from either the prop hub or the rubber part of the flappers from exhaust (if thru prop).
The repair guy is charging him for an engine removal, hardly necessary if it is on prop shaft.
Just thinkin' out loud.