Pettit Propcoat  1792 >

Pettit Propcoat 1792

Notices

Pettit Propcoat 1792

Old 06-11-2015, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Pettit Propcoat 1792

OK , this is a tough one to figure out the best forum under where to post this , but I'll try here !

Has anyone used this stuff before ? http://pettitpaint.com/product.asp?id=262

I'm giving it a shot for the first time on a pair of B3 props that have been meticulously prepped . The odd thing is , Pettit claims it to be a barnacle barrier but now that I've applied it , it looks , handles, smells and dries like a traditional cold galvanizing paint.
And the can has NO listings of biocides or toxic chemicals. All it says is that the finished coat contains 93% zinc .

Any and all input appreciated .
Old 06-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It is a zinc rich coating (cold galvanizing, weldable primer). This protects other metals through sacrificial protection. Zinc, like copper, is also a natural anti-microbial/biocide. I don't think it is as good as copper, but I don't think barnacles will grow on it as it is poisonous to them.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

The fouling out here is severe so that's kind of reassuring . I do know that some manufacturers of a/f paint have been moving to the additive zinc omadine more recently and it's also the biocide in Pettit Vivid that I've had good success with .

After many years of trying different things I will be amazed if this stuff a) stays stuck and b) actually does inhibit coral/barnacle growth.
If it does ,who woulda thunk after all these years that something as simple as cold galvanize was always on the shelf ?