Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Broke another drive over the weekend. Opinions please >

Broke another drive over the weekend. Opinions please

Notices

Broke another drive over the weekend. Opinions please

Old 07-21-2015, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Check with George at AADS, he has new improved parts for Bravo and Alpha that increase power handling. He also recommends Amsoil Extreme Gear oil, I run the 75W110 in my Bravo.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:36 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I beat the crap out of my 1.5 SEI 'Alpha'. Turn a 21" and a 23" to 5400rpm and change.

I will holeshot with the best of them....about 2800lb boat. Wife, small dog, and a very small cooler.

I use 3 blade cleavers because my boat like them for some reason. They slip more than more normal props.

====================

Blowing up Bravo's and Alpha's was a yearly ritual for me (different boats.)

Alpha's implode more from too high shifting rpm than anything else.

I will not go over 800rpm shift speed...ever again.

Lower than that is better...but 800rpm seems to live fine. Over that and Mr clunky clunky comes to visit.

That's my experience.

Note: This has been my only SEI as I haven't killed it. About 5 yrs old. It's first gear lube change at say 5-10hrs had basically no fuzz on the magnet. Mercruiser High Performance green gear oil. Drive shower. Never made much of a gear type whine noise like others say you get for first few hrs of SEI's.

Maybe I got lucky with a better one, I don't know. But when accelerating for speed, I don't go anyslower than a Micro second putting my throttle down thru the dash. LOL.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:49 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
I beat the crap out of my 1.5 SEI 'Alpha'. Turn a 21" and a 23" to 5400rpm and change.

I will holeshot with the best of them....about 2800lb boat. Wife, small dog, and a very small cooler.

I use 3 blade cleavers because my boat like them for some reason. They slip more than more normal props.

====================

Lower than that is better...but 800rpm seems to live fine. Over that and Mr clunky clunky comes to visit.

That's my experience.

Note: This has been my only SEI as I haven't killed it. About 5 yrs old. It's first gear lube change at say 5-10hrs had basically no fuzz on the magnet. Mercruiser High Performance green gear oil. Drive shower. Never made much of a gear type whine noise like others say you get for first few hrs of SEI's.

Maybe I got lucky with a better one, I don't know. But when accelerating for speed, I don't go anyslower than a Micro second putting my throttle down thru the dash. LOL.
I like your style lol
Old 07-21-2015, 10:01 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
I like your style lol
I've broken a few shifters, fingers, and radio's going into 3rd. Think Chevelle, Camaro, and etc.

Few yrs ago, pulled a shifter out of a Honda going into 4th. It was a schit can with a fart can though. Ha !
Old 07-22-2015, 12:41 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by SB

====================

That's my experience.

Yeah, but do you pull the neighbors fat kid around in a tube??? He definitely needs to drop pitch to do that, its like trying to do second gear clutch dumps
Old 07-22-2015, 12:42 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
I've broken a few shifters, fingers, and radio's going into 3rd. Think Chevelle, Camaro, and etc.

Few yrs ago, pulled a shifter out of a Honda going into 4th. It was a schit can with a fart can though. Ha !
I had a verticle gate hooked to an M22 in the old goat... bulletproof...
Old 07-22-2015, 06:06 AM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
Yeah, but do you pull the neighbors fat kid around in a tube??? He definitely needs to drop pitch to do that, its like trying to do second gear clutch dumps
No. I don't. And that could be a difference.

Used to with stock motor + stock Merc Alpha which I still used the 21" for normal boating, but a 19" for skiing/tubing. The 19" was a POS aluminum that reved like a 17" should.

If I where still using the boat for watersports, I would be using that prop for that.

I have a shed full of props, and use all different ones a bunch...prop that goes on depends on what type of boating we'll be doing for the day..including weather conditions (think wave height) we will be facing. Seriously. These little lightweight boats respond (good or bad) to the littlest change in anything.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
I should also mention that at WOT the engine is running at about 5600-5800 rpm. Most I hold it there is 30 seconds to a minute at a time
So 5700 shall we say how many times did the prop leave the water...get a little airbourne....just a small wake hop...At that load and rpm... Alpha... SEI..whatever, is well say good bye...

Just Saying.....
Old 07-22-2015, 08:32 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pliant
So 5700 shall we say how many times did the prop leave the water...get a little airbourne....just a small wake hop...At that load and rpm... Alpha... SEI..whatever, is well say good bye...

Just Saying.....
I'm not into catching much air. I'll let the boat dance a little on small chop but I don't beat it's guts out when it's rough