Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Still not grabbing water!!! Ventilation or spun coupler? Or Bravo internally? >

Still not grabbing water!!! Ventilation or spun coupler? Or Bravo internally?

Notices

Still not grabbing water!!! Ventilation or spun coupler? Or Bravo internally?

Old 07-30-2015, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still not grabbing water!!! Ventilation or spun coupler? Or Bravo internally?

I replaced both hub inserts and put 23p props but still can't go over 1500rpm. I can feel the slipping and grabbing even at low speeds but when I get to 2k starboard completely lets go and spikes to 3500 and the boat feels like I shifted to neutral. Lower to 1200 and I feel it grab kinda like letting out the clutch in a car. I try trim up, down, one side higher than the other and vice versa and nothing.

I have brand new Bravo HP couplers, brand new hub inserts, same with both 23p and 27p props. I know my drives are not identical twins as one has low water pickup. Could it be they are different enough to cause this issue?

I had someone else throttle while I watched the engine to see if the coupler is spun but it doesn't seem like it. I would expect burning rubber if it were.

Is it possible there is something inside the drive spinning out that doesn't sound like chewed up gears? I don't hear anything out of the ordinary.

See if there is anything visibly wrong back here:

Old 07-30-2015, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,044 Likes on 1,356 Posts

[QUOTE=ivanfuego;4336255]I I know my drives are not identical twins as one has low water pickup. Could it be they are different enough to cause this issue?

no
Old 07-30-2015, 01:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Switch the props from side to side .....you'll have to operate the shifters in backward fashion,
Run it...if the problem moves to the opposite side, it's the prop hub, if its still on the same side,
It's the coupler or something in the drive
Old 07-30-2015, 01:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Didn't the 33 Outlaw have 4 blade props from the factory? Are you tucking drives all the way in and dropping tabs?
Old 07-30-2015, 01:45 PM
CPM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Usually if the coupler goes there will be chunks of rubber hanging out of it and a nice burnt rubber smell, Try as Jaay Teee said try switching props around and shift in opposite if the problem goes away your clutch cone is worn out in starboard drive, you can do one of two things then install a new clutch cone or switch your drives around.

Last edited by CPM; 07-30-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

OP, how about backing up and tell us when this started, I know you've ran your boat for a while, so what did you change to cause your problem,
Old 07-31-2015, 08:39 AM
Registered

I actually haven't run her yet. First time out didn't last 5 minutes because I was cooking my exhaust hoses. Idled back before they melted or caught on fire. Got all new stock merc exhaust and swapped everything out. threw it back in the water and once I hit the throttle over 1500 this started. High tide is around noon so I'll pull out and see whats happening back there. I'll pull the props to check for wear, if nothing visible I'll swap the drives to see if it switches over to the port side.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

my bad I thought had ran it in the stock configuration,,,,,, are you still having the over heating problem ?

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 07-31-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:24 PM
Registered

No I never overheated. The 4"exhaust hose was getting cooked because they were dry for about an inch before the water inlet on my tails. I thought I could get away with it but I need to join them with steel bands.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:31 PM
Registered

Oh mannnnn! Now I see why they make fun of the bayliner owners... I sold mine but still.

I forgot the ears attached to the drive when I was running it on the hose!!! So stupid but true. Sorry to waste u guys' time (and my own). I'll take all the jokes and criticism now I deserve it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.