Notices

Scx-4

Old 10-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

There are many others having issues dialing in thier SCX-4 but they won't post on OSO.....good luck getting her dialed in bud.

Thanks for keeping us updated
Old 10-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

This is a tough forum to post on and get helpful feedback, a lot of people just want to go into trash mode. So many people just keep to themselves. That being said heres what I have learned about the scx-4's having owned them for 3 plus years. They have a really big nose one them, needed for the large gears. This has caused a problem with lift. imco has extended the skeg up to the front of the bullet, not sure how that works haven't got to try one. they claim it really helps? If your running 6 drive props ( I am) they seem to like a lot of rake, Mine are 18 wish I had 20 or 22. The drive seems to be built very rugged. pulled back cap off gears look new. My issue is stern lift once you hit over 6000 rpm hang on you now are lifting the boat off the strakes. Wilson did blueprint these when they were new, talking to them they claim 17" is to big when spinning them that rpm they need to cut them to 16.75 or even 16.5. My goal when I built the boat was to have one I could run at 80 all day with no issues. I have done that, so how much money do I spend trying to wring every last mph out of this. The boat will run 105 any day with full tanks empty tanks 1 person or 5 people. right up to there it is very well behaved, but push it past the 6000 rpm mark and hang on. My boat is currently at R lll"s getting a new dash, he has sent the props to Wilson and will run it when it is all back together. If that helps great if not not sure how far I care to chase this. By the way my boat is a side by side, If it was a full stager not so sure I would be having these issues.
Offshore Unleashed is one awesome boat you got yourself a keeper.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks KW that's the plan!

Sounds like you are on the right track with your plans. The strength and reliability is awesome! Would be great if WCM could cut you a deal on modifying your lowers to match the newer imco skegs,and reblueprint. Not sure how much work would be involved. I do have another friend with a twin step V Hull that bow steers with to much stern lift at speed, so your not alone.

Don't be scared to cut down your props I have run 15.5" and 16.5" diameter on unleashed and she feels great. But I agree its a weird mental thing that we "THINK" we need larger diameter props. There's a lot more science to it then that but for some reason there is some thing about us men that think bigger is better! LOL

I also agree at what point do you stop chasing speed. Sometimes breaking a milestone should be good enough. Breaking 100 is awesome, and being able to consistently run OVER 100mph no matter what is the real ticket! I think your a good place to enjoy. If you want to tinker here and there on setup, mostly to make it safer and more stable, then cool. But don't kill yourself over it. You have a sweet boat that runs great.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 MAIDEN AMERICA
I have 6 props.
Slip is 16-18%.
A friend put on standard SCX's with the 1400 lowers and he's 2" below the hull with 9% slip and no loss of speed over the SC's he had.
My boat's faster and handles better with full tanks so I'm thinking that going deeper may give me less stern lift.
Does Brett have an SCX spacer program? Where the heck should I start?
Vid of the drive at speed shows that the water is hitting the drive at about the center of the bullet/propshaft.
I wouldn't lower the X dim... I would run bigger diameter and more blades.. if excessive stern lift is a problem... round the ears off to create more bow lift... I'm sure brett BBlades would be very helpful with some recommendations

Last edited by adk61; 10-02-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I have 1/2" spacers on the shelf for sale if anyone needs them.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I was told that the new lowers, 1400's, won't fit the SCX-4's. My friend's 2004 38' has the new 1400's and he only has 9% slip so they must work.
RF said that most Fountains like 16 rake but that was before the SCX. I couldn't tell the difference between 18 and 20 but they also had too much pitch, 38's. I could see a smaller prop working on mine because it's easy to get on plane with a 16.75" that I have. On the other hand, we were thinking slip would go up. Guess I'll just by $100K in props and start testing again.
To the other thread, "what do you invest your money into". Maybe I'll invest into props. They'll go up in value, right? lol
Old 10-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My SCX-4 has the new 1400 lower and I used the older 2 inch spacer , standard SCX,s & -4 lowers will not interchange it has 2 more fasteners & different bolt pattern .
Old 10-03-2015, 04:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

Rob your boat is a full stager? I have the old lowers mine were blueprinted and is a side by side. My slip is only 8%. My propshaft is even with the bottom. when I get to 6000 rpm I've achieved too much stern lift. I can't run any positive trim to carry the bow, the props lose bite. At the boat show I had a long conversation with Brett, His assessment was to also cut the props down and cup the end of the blade he felt the water was shedding of the blade to early and cupping it would give it the additional bite it needed to be able to give it some positive trim. He also felt more rake was in order. My feeling is when these first came out they tried to prop them like a 6, but with the large bullet its hydroplaning the drive causing the exaggerative lift. R lll has had some talk with Wilson on this and they are going to cut down my props, he also said we could try spacing the drive down some. the problem is nobody really knows what this drive likes and it's pretty expensive to keep testing all the theories. not sure why your slip is so high, but my boat has always been between 7-9% even with the bravo's. Wish we were closer I would like to try my blueprinted lowers on your boat to see just how much difference the blueprinting makes.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine's a semi stagger. With SC's, -2's and 35P 6bl Herings I still had 15% slip but the boat handled perfect. With the SCX-4's it gets on plane easier and I don't run any trim at speed. Propshaft is parallel to bottom of boat. Any more trim and it just slips. I spent 20 hours blueprinting my lowers, probably took off 5#'s of aluminum, but it'd be nice to try the 1400's. Hurry up and try the smaller props. After your results I'll see if I can get some new props. It's my turn to go shopping anyways because the wife just bought some new shoes. Fair is fair!

Side notes.
My old SC-2's had nickle sized chunks cut out of the leading edge of the skeg from hitting the trailer(bowstop was too far forward the first time loading onto the Myco). NO loss of speed.
My #6 props have several dings and hammer/file marks from me straightening them out and no loss of speed.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:59 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 1400 lowers blueprinted, but just on SCX. Around 10% slip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.