Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Question... When you break a gimbal ring like this... >

Question... When you break a gimbal ring like this...

Notices

Question... When you break a gimbal ring like this...

Old 10-01-2015, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently that's all they saw...
Originally Posted by SB
So, what did he insurance agent think was bobbing in the water, your big fat brown or black wallet ?
Old 10-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

That sucks - I had a similar "conversation" with progressive on a previous boat. I ended up paying for repairs and dropped their a$$.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Registered

I have had two surveyors look at the boat now and will have a documented version come out that states a factual and reasonable claim as to what happened. No smoke and mirrors from these guys as they aren't on progressives payroll. They both have stated the same thing that a gimbal ring will not crack from a u-joint failure. The pure and simple fact that progressive ignored the shops email stating what a mercury rep stated regarding this and even the offer to put them in touch with one another is very irritating. Just goes to show you how much they really didn't care about taking care of this claim.
Originally Posted by easyrider1340
That sucks - I had a similar "conversation" with progressive on a previous boat. I ended up paying for repairs and dropped their a$$.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:00 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

What a mess.

Around here, people hit rocks all the time and insurance pays up.

Yet, some of you guys hit submerged logs or etc and insurance doesn't.

That's not right !

Rocks are marked, therefore if you hit one, you where basically negligent. Rocks don't move.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Rocks are marked, therefore if you hit one, you where basically negligent. Rocks don't move.
Depending on the water way, yes the rock may be present all the time but with our water being down several feet over the last couple of years where I normally boat. Rocks have made a sudden appearance. A lot of channel markers have been adjusted and added because of this. What used to be 7 feet underwater and never an issue, is now 2 feet and hidden.

Not necessarily negligent. Insurance is there for any accident. Bad move by progressive on this.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Insurance covers stupidity too.
Have you seen the commercial where the guy cuts the tree limb off and it lands on his car?
There are several others like that too.
Personally I experienced a customer that topped off the antifreeze in her daughters Audi. When the engine quit she brought it here. Engine oil was full of antifreeze because she dumped it in the wrong spot. Insurance paid for it.
If they're saying the U joint caused the failure tell them you lubed it with antifreeze so it wouldn't seize.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:02 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Kings11
Depending on the water way, yes the rock may be present all the time but with our water being down several feet over the last couple of years where I normally boat. Rocks have made a sudden appearance. A lot of channel markers have been adjusted and added because of this. What used to be 7 feet underwater and never an issue, is now 2 feet and hidden.

Not necessarily negligent. Insurance is there for any accident. Bad move by progressive on this.
I did not type it as well as I should.

I am with you.

Was just trying to point out if you hit a rock that is marked and insurance covers that (something you should not have done) then hitting a unseen partially floating (submerged) object should be too.....which, we all know is covered.

Anyhow - the ins company is trying to f*k him, plain and simple.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teamsynergy
I won't post the actual survey report yet but yes, one fact they mentioned was that u-joint failure was the cause for my failure... Wear and tear I believe lol. Per the merc reps, the gimbal ring won't crack from a u-joint failure but from an impact... This guy even listed my motors as 700+ hp just from looking at the outside of them... Love to know how he does his math. On top of that, motors have stock 575sci fuel injection system which he stated was replaced with a larger system that pushes the motors past their operational capacity...
id get a new insurance man !!!!
Old 10-01-2015, 08:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
id get a new insurance man !!!!
That and a good attorney!
Old 10-02-2015, 06:58 AM
Registered

In there clause in which they do not cover is "mechanical wear and tear" which is what they are stating happened...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.