Bravo Gear pitting

Notices

Bravo Gear pitting

Old 10-06-2015, 12:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
OSO PM was sent to you JT just checking if you got it - sent over 24 hours ago. Thanks
Got it...getting them packaged up....there about 40 #'s worth...should be able to get them out today
Old 10-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My customer wanted his old gears.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:48 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for the follow ups and if all parties can you please throw a note in with the gears - examples - your engine model (stock or not - what hp ) - hp and torque numbers also what year are your gears / related outdrive parts. meaning if you rebuilt your outdrive 3 years ago I want to know that and where did you buy your gears / outdrive parts at. Are they OEM form Merc or someone else ?

if your app was original and had the original set of gears and related parts, I want to know that - what year are they along with your engine app info to.

Basically I want to know are these current gears or 20 year old parts that failure or showing the wear. let me know this info please.

I want to know what is the model of the outdrive ? is it a Bravo one or X or XZ or performance or XR or Bravo III app and so on. THANK YOU. Sorry for needing all this info but really trying to make some head way with it.

I will be tearing into a Alpha one Gen II tomorrow for a reseal and internal checks - will see if good or bad. Had some water intrusion but caught quick.

Last edited by BUP; 10-06-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive got a set of Bravo 1.50 here somewhere that is pitted lightly on one face . If I can find them, I'll gladly send them FOC. Just let me know where.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

aren't the gears known for being soft, impact loading, pitting, and eventually breaking. not sure what a "gear expert" is going to tell you that isn't already known.

I see these types of issues daily in the aircraft world. Understanding if wear is linear, exponential, etc...it's all a black art. We spend millions of dollars on it and never really solve anything.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:01 PM
BUP
Banned

I do not need an expert to tell me the internals are weak - that has been a given for years now. Metal overall is not the quality it use to be as USA imports most of it compared to many years ago where the USA was a huge market at one time.

Where I am going with all this are people that do this stuff day in and day out. They have never built or rebuilt a marine outdrive nor raced a FI car or a Nascar or flown to the moon but they have made products, examined, tested, and studied tested gear failures that are used in a wide variety applications.

Its a start to another start that someone left off at plus at least I try be proactive for the marine industry. I might have a small name up here but in the marine industry as a whole, many people know who I am for a reason. Just saying.

Last edited by BUP; 10-06-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

BUP,
tried to PM you some info..your in box is full.

as of 4pm wed. the package just left Lexena Ks
Old 10-07-2015, 06:46 PM
BUP
Banned

sorry about that - darn thing fills up quick all the time. Should be room now
Old 10-17-2015, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If your going to be in my neck or the woods i have a xr set ,early, a x pinion (late) and a ob series lower gear i can add to the mix.as well as a of-om lower pinion set that has some pitting
Old 10-17-2015, 11:25 AM
BUP
Banned

Won t be up in Dallas but was last week. I was in Lewisville working on boats and a couple of boat inspections - I am leaving on this coming Tuesday. It is not just one person I am going to be talking to, Looking at picking their brains and other options along with other manu's to see what can be done to bring longevity into the mix including XYZ company possible making better gear sets and so forth needed. I am giving different companies these gears to look at and will be listening very closely..

Last edited by BUP; 10-17-2015 at 11:51 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.