Gimble Bearing Noise or Something Else? >

Gimble Bearing Noise or Something Else?

Notices

Gimble Bearing Noise or Something Else?

Old 10-13-2015, 08:52 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gimble Bearing Noise or Something Else?

Crusader 5.7, Alpha Gen 2

Engine runs extremely quiet at idle, 40 psi oil pressure the whole time, cold or warmed up. Bring RPM up over 1200 or so in neutral and you get a loud roar like a whooped wheel bearing in a car with the same type of vibration you'd feel with a bad wheel bearing.

Wondering if this is the gimble bearing or possibly main bearings. Thoughts?
Old 10-14-2015, 01:25 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Do you have the drive trimmed down????

If its trimmed up high into trailer mode, the U joints will make a bunch of noise like you describe. It could still be a bad U joint.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:33 AM
Registered
Gold Member

The bow is up on the jack, I lowered the drive to a couple inches from the ground but still quite a bit of angle to it. I'll lower it today and move the drive around and see if it changes.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:27 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Well, I shot some grease into the gimble bearing grease fitting and the noise went away completely. I can't believe it was making that much rattle.

I bought this boat from a guy who bought it from a guy in Michigan, brought it down here to Florida to a local Marina, paid them to dewinterize it, and they told him it had a water leak possibly from a rotted y-pipe. He opted not to pay them to investigate and just sold the boat, CHEAP. Upon investigation, the boat does not have any type of y-pipe leak, it has a hole in the shift cable bellow. It also does not have the 5.0 he advertised it with, but a 2005 Crusader 5.7 instead, that runs great, until the distributor pick up went out and is on backorder but that's another story.

Anyways, I said all that because I kinda figured part of paying a mechanic to dewinterize your boat would include greasing the gimble wouldn't it?
Old 10-14-2015, 07:01 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

the grease could have washed out by the gear oil leaking into the u joint bellows so with said have you been losing / down on the level of gear oil

Or water intrusion has hit the GB or was never greased properly or enough

Also it is a matter of time before it the GB goes out. if it was making noise it was hurt. I promise I know what I am talking about here .
Old 10-14-2015, 07:05 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

trim ur outdrive to full trim up NOT trailer up position run the engine on the water hose and turn your steering all the way left and right did any noise comeback ?
Old 10-14-2015, 07:33 PM
Registered
Gold Member

No gear oil loss in reservoir, stays dead on full line.

I did raise the drive back up and turn it full left and right and no noise.

I would agree it's hurt because it was quite loud but it's quiet now and I'm probably parting out the boat, just wanted to take it out again after the distributor swap.