Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Rebuilding an alpha ss >

Rebuilding an alpha ss

Notices

Rebuilding an alpha ss

Old 11-22-2015, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

2 1/2 inches deeper - that is a ton of performance and handling change. It was 10 MPH on my Glastron.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this drive on my formula. I bought it because I'd like to start another project someday and I know there not easy to come by. When I installed it on the formula there was very little difference. The speed was about the same but it's much harder to keep the prop in the water I've gotta be quick with the throttle. Also it requires more trim to keep the bow out of the water. if I did decide to go back to a standard alpha I shouldn't have any issues. I have to April or may to sort it out.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Most times when you make a drastic prop shaft height change you will need to change props also. If you went up 2 1/2 inches and it made almost no difference in your speed than either your drive was WAY too deep or you just NOW have the wrong prop to work with the new prop shaft height. My Glastron CVX 18 had the transom assembly mounted SO low that the cavitation plate at the front of the drive was 1/2 inch below the transom. I installed the SS drive and gained 10 MPH and later when I replaced the transom raised it another 2 inches and gained another 10. The depth of the drive was limiting my top speed. In that same time frame I went from 188 HP to well over 500. I could break that SS drive at will.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a lot of tools associated with rebuilding a drive. rolling torque and shimming is essential for longevity. Most parts can be found on ebay for short money. It's the tools that will break the bank . You'll need a slide hammer, two shimming gauges for the drive and driven gear, a long set of feeler gauges, a torque wrench capable off 1 inch lbs increments , and a cup installation tool. I'd go with the older gear set that uses the inner spacer over rolling torque on the pinion bearing.