Rebuilding an alpha ss >

Rebuilding an alpha ss

Notices

Rebuilding an alpha ss

Old 11-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding an alpha ss

I have an alpha ss that is in need of a rebuild. What would I be looking to spend for a complete rebuild and how accessible are the parts?
Old 11-13-2015, 05:41 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

and how accessible are the parts?
Ayuh,.... Aren't all the internal parts the same as the Alpha 1,..??

I think the only differences is the case castin's,...

If so, the parts are available both from Merc, 'n aftermarket,....
Old 11-13-2015, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The upper case is 2 1/2 inches shorter along with the vertical shaft and the shift shaft.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:32 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with it, it sounds like it's gonna be pretty expensive. I may just try to find a standard alpha for it.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey inlinepwr, When I had that ss I did some research on replacement parts. The lower is interchangeable with one of the outboard CLE gear cases, the guys on scream & fly knew what case to buy. Do a search on there.
The upper and vertical shaft are unique as Tinkerer says above. All the other parts such as seals, gears and bearings I believe are the same as a standard alpha. The u-joints were HD versions of the alpha.
When researching parts I found that the ss is not listed under standard Mercruiser drives but under Mercury racing drives.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:32 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by inlinepwr
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with it, it sounds like it's gonna be pretty expensive. I may just try to find a standard alpha for it.
There's typically a bunch of people looking for SS's..if you really don't want it, depending on what's wrong with it, it may be easy to sell. Just a heads up.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Registered

Hey Pat, thanks for the info it will definitely when looking for parts. SB I'm not looking to sell the drive but thanks for the heads up. I just figured it would be cheaper to put a use alpha on the boat to get it back in the h20. I had a couple of teeth break off the gears in the upper case which of course made their way in between the gears stopping them dead just under full throttle. It came pretty close to snapping the output shafts and it took out the coupler. This season was very short for me with this and other programs I'll have to make up for it next year
Old 11-19-2015, 11:00 AM
Registered

It would be nice for an aftermarket company to pick up manufacturing of the SS.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:42 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Many of us have talked to SEI about making / reproducing them. They say they have no interest as the overall #'s sold would not justify the cause. Still to this day I suggest people looking for an Alpha SS or replacment, to make sure your voice is heard and let SEI know.

To put some uuumph on the Alpha SS, I hung one on a boat this late spring and the boat has gone just over 7mph faster condition per condition in other well documented testing, and now way over reving the engines powerband, with absolutely no other changes...not even a prop change....which is next summers change to see what the final result is.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I just figured it would be cheaper to put a use alpha on the boat to get it back in the h20.
Ayuh,..... Only problem I see with that plan is, yer movin' the prop 2 inches deeper into the water,....

Dependin' on how yer hull was set-up, 'n behavin', it could be a Major change, possibly for the worse,....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.