volvo penta to mercruiser conversion

Notices

volvo penta to mercruiser conversion

Old 11-21-2015, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volvo penta to mercruiser conversion

Hi all,
I am a new member on the site. I am trying to find information regarding transom cutout specs. I have a 2006 volvo penta sx-m drive. I want to swap out the volvo for a new mercruiser bravo one. I am unable to find the templates for each transom cutout to compare. Are they the same? Does anyone have the 2 templates available for comparison? Thank you.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:18 PM
Registered

First off welcome!!

Secondly, I'm not 100% sure but I'd say the mounting holes are different. I'd try to contact Volvo Penta and Mercruiser directly for the templates. Hopefully found won't have to add wood of do glass work to make the conversion.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:10 PM
Registered

Thank you for your input. I will try to contact the manufacturers this week.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

I just found this yesterday for a buddy doing the same thing.
Here is a link to the Mercruiser part for the conversion.

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/mercru...or-p-1069.html
Hope this is helpful.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

I am 99% sure that the late model Volvos and Mercs use the same cutout.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:36 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

You can not just take off your Volvo drive and slap a Merc bravo drive on because there is nothing on the market for the conversion without doing the transom assemblies.

Next Post number # 4 - just correcting all that info because I know 100 % here as that is for the 1993 /1994 volvo apps and back along with the older BMW marine app that is long gone for the hull transom cut out only to do a Mercruiser conversion. This OP has a Volvo Penta SX- M outdrive and transom assembly. This is the more current offer from mid 90's to current but the current stuff from Volvo has changed starting in 2007 most of it even better.

The transom cut out is the same for these later models Volvos - 1994 SX and up and 1996 DP Volvo and up to Merc. If you had a merc alpha outdrive it would be drilling 2 more holes and thats it on the transom hull end.

Anyways you will need more than you think for doing this conversion just drive and transom assembly only will not cut it. Volvo does not use an intermediate shift cable set up - meaning from engine side to drive side cable set up. so you will need that and the shift cable bracket & hardware - also you need to change the shift cable at the control box to work with the newer Bravo and that mounted correctly to the shift cable bracket engine side - also you will need to mount a drive gear oil reservoir dummy without float & wires or the normal merc reservoir (Merc has both) leaving the wires hanging out of the way. Depending on what engine coupler you have that might need to be changed out also. Also depending on year model of both apps here - the steering cable might have to be changed as well or least could be a good idea. And of course there is more.

With all this said - why do want you want a Merc Bravo drive and transom assembly in place of the Volvo SX assemblies?

hate to tell you depending on what year your Volvo app is - this might be going backwards.

Here is the facts

Bravo transom assemblies have more problems than any Volvo SX transom assemblies ever did. Merc has way more intermediate shift cables problems were volvo does not even have this set up. Next volvo shift a whole lot better and smoother than any Merc, Next Volvo transom assembles are much stronger than bravo plus you do not get that gimbal ring slop like Merc overtime plus the nut on top of the Merc swivel shaft always comes loose in due time. Volvo never has this problem.

Next - Volvo's U joint bellows last twice as long as Merc and Volvo's do not have a shift cable bellows - never did to worry about. Volvo's do not have near the outdrive seal leaks that Merc drives can encounter over the years.

Impact a bravo and impact the Volvo just the exact same and you will see what drive and transom assembly held up better.

Next the newest 2007 and up Volvo SX drive is more hydrodynamic than the bravo and the 2006 and back Volvo. The Volvo DP drive is far better that a Merc Bravo III inwhich always leak gear oil thru the propshaft area when running.

You are stepping down if your app is under 500 hp going with a bravo and their transom assembly..

Volvo does have some negs also compared to the Bravo - Volvo drives trim alot slower and their trim sender is junk nor give accurate readings on the trim gauge. The newer Volvo have their trim pump mounted externally in the transom assembly how stupid is that, Always exposed to the elements. They are on their 5 th gen for the trim pump because the 1st - 4 were leakers and bleed the drive down. They do have it right finally but it still mounted external in the transom assembly. Merc has better prop selection along with all that testing thru out the years. Also Merc's paint holds up better than Volvo's on the outdrive.

I worked on both Volvo and Merc apps and Merc has more outdrive problems and more transom assembly area problems by far. Also the Volvo outdrive is so easy to pull and reinstall. Yes they are heavy but so is a Bravo especially both of twin props apps.

Last edited by BUP; 11-21-2015 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:04 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

[QUOTE=BUP;4378532

hate to tell you depending on what year your Volvo app is - this might be going backwards.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:37 PM
Registered

Thank you for all of the information. It appears the cutout is the same from volvo sx to mercruiser.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

? why do you want to go from good to bad..a volvo sx will be faster then a bravo one..
Old 12-02-2015, 11:25 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The newest volvo SX gear case design hydrodynamics is 1 to 3 mph faster than a Bravo 1 and the DP volvo compared to the Bravo III could be 3 plus mph faster if Volvo would ever get to the level of Merc props.

The 1994 thru 2006 Volvo SX outdrive is slower an average of 1.5 mph compared to the latest Volvo SX design 2007 to current.

Solas makes all Volvo SX drive props for them. Solas is if i recall correctly the largest prop manu in the world. They make props for Honda, Nissan, Suzuki, Volvo, Merc smaller props Aluminum props,some J/E props and about 4 other marine applications plus are the largest for the Jet ski Inpeller SS in the world.

Yamaha years ago bought Turbo props from IN USA and all Yamaha's use those props.. Anyways an FYI

Actually for the money you can not beat an Solas prop - they work good for most apps below 400 hp. They will out perform any Merc prop for the alpha one and GEN II outdrive app hands down. Aluminum and SS.

Last edited by BUP; 12-02-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.