Notices

Drive Showers

Old 01-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Just an FYI the Bravo III is one of the hottest temp outdrives running. I would use very good gear oil and a good drive shower for these apps even though they are not considered a performance application.
BUP, thank you and confirming some of my suspicions. . In our old boat - Alpha drive - the outdrive would get warm but no anywhere as warm of what I've experienced with the Bravo 3. Of course I was only running 165hp -thru it. Another item that I forgot to mention is the quality of the oil - at least in my world- is very consistent from the start of the season to the end. Being the anal retentive person I am - I do a oil drain every year-- and to be honest the stuff going out looks as good as the stuff going in. As a side bar I thought I had a major leak when the oil reservoir in the spring was almost empty - only realizing that there was air in the system that needed to be bled out. Once filled and the boat run the air bleeds and I might have to had an ounce or two.

thank you

3pointstar
Old 01-05-2016, 05:25 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Bravo III's leak gear oil at the propshaft seal - huge problem while running down the lake for the missing gear oil. You can even pressure test the drive and it will show good to go. You will not even see gear oil on the ground when your boat is stored - most of the time under normal use will not leak like that.

Spinning props - The pressure / vacuum behind the props helps pull the gear out while running down the lake - the faster they spin, the more it seeps out. I am not talking about large amounts but enough over time to see your gear oil in the bottle is going down or if not watched, the bottle almost empty. Some quicker than other's

Want to say in 2010 Merc came out with a service bulletin about a new improved propshaft seal to help against this. It helped out alot but did not cure it 100 %. The SB came out on the Bravo III diesel side first then later over to the gas side.

Last edited by BUP; 01-05-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Bravo III leak gear oil at the propshaft seal - huge problem while running down the lake. The pressure / vacuum behind the props helps pull the gear out. What say 2010 Merc came out with a service bulletin about a new improve propshaft seal to help against this but it helped out alot but did not cure it 100 %.
Good point BUP, rebuilt my 2000 model drive (busted gears) and it never leaked, had the two seals back to back. Replaced with new one piece double seal, and ran it for one season and no leaks. Also had a Y pipe and exhaust boot, not the tube.

During my rebuild bought a new B3XR drive, with new Merc HP transom assembly (exhaust blocked off and no boot or tube) and before the drive was put in the water the inner shaft was leaking. Merc paid to have drive repaired, and two days after install it stated to leak a bit. Called the dealer and he said to just run it, it should stop. Also a note: after filling the drive I tilted it on it side a bit to fill the drive from top hole completely. Every two outings, the drive needed a few ounces of lube to fill the bottle.

Maybe I should call the dealer back, but I drained and replaced lube, and it has not leaked a drop
Old 01-05-2016, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractionless
What's a good source of the Semrek's?
Order direct http://www.driveshowers.com/
Old 01-06-2016, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dba1062
Thanks for the info.!

What's the general consensus for their need on Bravo 1's when pushed by 330hp 7.4lx motors?

Last edited by Tractionless; 01-06-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the info.!

What's the general consensus for their need on Bravo 1's when pushed by 330hp 7.4lx motors?
Buy 1, it worked well on both of our Bravo boats with 310 and 330hp.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Just added a Simrek Halo to my setup. Nice piece and works perfectly with my Zieger hyd steering. Not having to drill the cavitation plate and cooling the case sides vs top cap sold me vs other brands.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

What's a good source of the Semrek's?
We have them in stock http://www.diamondperformanceparts.c...cat=315&page=1
302-521-0123

The Best Parts & Service At The Best Price
Old 01-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
Just added a Simrek Halo to my setup. Nice piece and works perfectly with my Zieger hyd steering. Not having to drill the cavitation plate and cooling the case sides vs top cap sold me vs other brands.
Ryan, do you have dual ram steering? I was wondering if/what Simrek worked with the XR and Zeigler steering.

Padraig
Old 01-08-2016, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
Ryan, do you have dual ram steering? I was wondering if/what Simrek worked with the XR and Zeigler steering.

Padraig
I have the single ram setup on mine. Might want to contact Simrek for sure on fitment with the dual ram. From "eyeballing" it, still should work with dual ram. I'll put some pics up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.