Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
How does the oil drain out of a 97 model Bravo1 drive?????????? >

How does the oil drain out of a 97 model Bravo1 drive??????????

Notices

How does the oil drain out of a 97 model Bravo1 drive??????????

Old 01-09-2016, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How does the oil drain out of a 97 model Bravo1 drive??????????

I got the drives hot and thought to drain and refill them with new fluid. THERE is NO plug on the lowers where the oil can drain. What is up with that? Do I have to separate the drive upper and lower to change oil??
A little help needed here.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Take the prop off....the plug is on the bottom of the carrier/retainer

Last edited by JaayTeee; 01-09-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
Take the prop off....the plug is on the bottom of the carrier/retainer

Thanks. I'll give that a look.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:19 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

I hope you know that they need to be refilled from the bottom plug as well.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good call Griff .. To the OP I am in no way try to be an ass, but maybe you should have someone who knows what they are doing help you, or have them do it. If you don't fill it correct as Griff brought up, it could cost you a lot of money down the road.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:17 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The same opinion here and most likely solid advice so you save money instead of causing 10 X's the costs of trying to figure out how to do things 100 % correctly without self inflicting problems.

It would be wise to have a real marine shop perform other maintenance as well especially when spring rolls around.. A really good shop offers turn key boating inwhich can be priceless and without headaches. In the long run that is cheaper overall for the boat owner.

Last edited by BUP; 01-10-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If your Thrust Washer ( a large brass washer ) doesn't come of with your prop you will also have to pop it off. Just take a screw driver and pry it off. It will come off real easy.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by kevlar382
If your Thrust Washer ( a large brass washer ) doesn't come of with your prop you will also have to pop it off. Just take a screw driver and pry it off. It will come off real easy.
just hit it with a brass hammer,it pops right off.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
The same opinion here and most likely solid advice so you save money instead of causing 10 X's the costs of trying to figure out how to do things 100 % correctly without self inflicting problems.

It would be wise to have a real marine shop perform other maintenance as well especially when spring rolls around.. A really good shop offers turn key boating inwhich can be priceless and without headaches. In the long run that is cheaper overall for the boat owner.
You still need to know exactly what they do. Had mine serviced at a Marine Dealer, oil, sparkplugs, filters, bravo's serviced even trailer checked out. All this done when I first bought the bought, about the 8th time out (approx. 3 months) engine failure. Found they didn't tighten one of the risers good, water leaked back on the exhaust valve causing to crystalize over time and shatter like glass. Learned ALOT since.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:23 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^^^^ Like I said a really good shop - in todays world that is hard to find even if we were talking about bikes, AC, Autos and so on.

Grease your propshaft and thrust washer area so most of the time its pull right off. That is part of maintenance anyways and should be done more often if in saltwater. We had good luck with Merc special 101 but I see 95% freshwater stuff.

Also check for fishing line wrapped around the propshaft bunched up against the seal. Common in my area from Bass fishermen leaving fishing line in the water.

Last edited by BUP; 01-10-2016 at 10:31 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.