Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Keeping a bravo drive cool or cooler >

Keeping a bravo drive cool or cooler

Notices

Keeping a bravo drive cool or cooler

Old 03-02-2016, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just install the oil coolers and drop the oil temp which is the main goal. Water wont come close to what the coolers will do temp wise. 1000 per side. Done
Old 03-03-2016, 07:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by plumbers crack
Why not just install the oil coolers and drop the oil temp which is the main goal. Water wont come close to what the coolers will do temp wise. 1000 per side. Done
I've got oil coolers already. Through hull water pickups and blocked off the through transom fitting where the bravo picks up water. I am interested in using the pickup water to recycle through the drive and out my drive shower. Not sure what you are suggesting pertaining to my situation?
Old 03-03-2016, 11:56 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by 682gold
I've got oil coolers already. Through hull water pickups and blocked off the through transom fitting where the bravo picks up water. I am interested in using the pickup water to recycle through the drive and out my drive shower. Not sure what you are suggesting pertaining to my situation?
I believe he is talking about the Drew Marine drive lube cooler system.

Here is a pic of what I had on my Pantera
Attached Thumbnails Keeping a bravo drive cool or cooler-driveshower.jpg  
Old 03-07-2016, 08:09 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Plumbers was speaking of an external outdrive shower cooler. I install fittings on the drive for the oil to be removed with a pump and returned through a filter and 12" oil cooler. Gives extra lube capacity and allows you to change a filter and check for metal. The system is pricey. Lots of parts to get it all setup. But it does the best job of cooling and cleaning the lube oil.
Dick
Old 03-07-2016, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Easy way would be to drill and tap the upper water passage and install a side water dump like this from Teague. Routing the water inlet to a dump would work too, but make sure the dump has a 90* turn down on it to aim towards the drive, if the dump just shoots straight out, it will probably never touch the drive especially at speed. The old Phantom race boats had water dumps like this.

http://teaguecustommarine.com/em0011...de-shower.html

Edit: Here's what you want for the water dump idea. Uses 1-1/4" hose which is what comes out of the transom assembly already anyway...
http://www.cpperformance.com/p-14425...ater-dump.aspx

Last edited by ToMorrow44; 03-07-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:46 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=ToMorrow44;4412556]Easy way would be to drill and tap the upper water passage and install a side water dump like this from Teague. Routing the water inlet to a dump would work too, but make sure the dump has a 90* turn down on it to aim towards the drive, if the dump just shoots straight out, it will probably never touch the drive especially at speed. The old Phantom race boats had water dumps like this.

http://teaguecustommarine.com/em0011...de-shower.html

This is what I was looking for. I have a drive shower already on both drives. Would it be better to do like the Teague or to plumb it into the drive show I've already got? or just have both?
Old 03-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 682gold
This is what I was looking for. I have a drive shower already on both drives. Would it be better to do like the Teague or to plumb it into the drive show I've already got? or just have both?
I would do the Teague side shower myself. Then just put a block off plate on the inner transom assembly (also available from Teague). Seems easier to me than drilling a hole in the transom for the water dump and plumbing the 1-1/4 hose from the inner transom assembly to the dump (a lot of bends, wouldn't look as clean). I would think it would be more effective too since its dumping directly on the side of the case...
Old 03-07-2016, 08:43 PM
Registered

Sorry I just re-read your question. I would do the side dump in addition to the drive shower. The drive shower is good at dumping water on the top cap where that bearing is, but the water may or may not run down the sides of the case, so the side dump would be effective there. I suppose you could plumb the side tap to the drive shower and reduce some drag by eliminating the drive shower pickup if you're looking for the last 1mph. But since you already own the drive shower, I'd just do both.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr. Gadgets, what kind of filter are you using for the drive cooler?
Old 09-06-2016, 08:25 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Short Fuse, I use a remote oil filter pad and a SBC screw on oil filter. I plumbed it with the filter after the cooler, but one gent destroyed a lower gear set and it damaged the pump. He found a filter with -6an fittings on each end and installed that before the pump to catch any gear parts that head that way.
Hope that helps.
Dick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.