TRS drive fluid was milky after less than 10 hrs of run time >

TRS drive fluid was milky after less than 10 hrs of run time

Notices

TRS drive fluid was milky after less than 10 hrs of run time

Old 05-15-2016, 01:28 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRS drive fluid was milky after less than 10 hrs of run time

After a day of running the boat, I opened the hatches and noticed the dip stick on the drive reservoir was popped off and there was milky drive fluid everywhere. Before we ran the boat I checked the drive fluid and was barely at the bottom of the dip stick cold. So I topped it off, to the full line.
There is no drive fluid coming from prop shaft. There was a small amount dripping from lower drain plug.

Couple question when I change fluid, on my TRS drive fill from bottom until starts to dribble from top drive hole. Then should I top off reservoir ????
Where else could I be getting water from?
Does Ams oil foam after running all day?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks Steve
Old 05-15-2016, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As for filling the drive I just remove the top cover and dump in 3 quarts. Trying to pump it in the bottom hole just makes a mess. A TRS will not create an air pocket so no problem doing it like this. Then fill your reservoir to the full line on the dip stick.

Now as for you milky problem you are obviously getting water forced into your drive. You are going to have to drain the drive. Most likely it will have water in it at the bottom when you pull the plug. Check the nose of the drive for cracks. Have you hit anything lately? If needed have the drive pressure tested. You have water being forced in while underway.

Last edited by picklenjim; 05-15-2016 at 11:30 PM.