Trs gimbal lubrication >

Trs gimbal lubrication

Notices

Trs gimbal lubrication

Old 05-17-2016, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Trs gimbal lubrication

Can you grease the gimbal bearing on a TRS? If so which zerk is that done with? My gimbal Housings have a zerk at the very top and very bottom which I believe are for the pivot pins. Hopefully someone can confirm this. Thanks
Old 05-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

should be on the lower starboard side, recessed in a bit.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:45 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

It's different on a TRS - the "gimbal bearing" is part of the transmission. If you have a Merctrans there is a fitting on the back of the trans inside the bellows. You can get to it only with the drive off. If it is a Velvet Drive the bearing is in the same place but is sealed.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mbam
It's different on a TRS - the "gimbal bearing" is part of the transmission. If you have a Merctrans there is a fitting on the back of the trans inside the bellows. You can get to it only with the drive off. If it is a Velvet Drive the bearing is in the same place but is sealed.
Thank you, It is a Velvet Drive.... On the upside the upper pivot pin now has plenty of lubrication!
Old 05-17-2016, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry I was thinking of a bravo. Memory going, and I just had trs with BW Trans in and out of a 311.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
Sorry I was thinking of a bravo. Memory going, and I just had trs with BW Trans in and out of a 311.
I too had mine apart not too long ago and never took notice of the gimbal configuration. I couldn't find the listing for the Gimbal in the drive section of the catalog but after talking with a pro it is listed under engines then transmission tail stock. Trs is so odd compared to anything modern.