Oil coming out of prop >

Oil coming out of prop

Notices

Oil coming out of prop

Old 07-10-2016, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil coming out of prop

The boat is currently on level ground with the outdrive up 5.7 Merc in a Wellcraft with an aftermarket Alpha outdrive. There is some oil in the propeller hub mixed with water and a couple drops of outdrive oil on the ground. The PO replaced the impeller before I purchased the boat. I've only put 1 hour on the motor since purchase (long story- see other post...redoing ignition and rebuilding carb). Outdrive oil reservoir is at the full line. Ive never seen oil around the hub of my other I/Os. Should I take it apart and reseal it or just worry about it if I start losing oil?
Old 07-10-2016, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

If I had to guess, I would say you need to reseal the carrier. It could be bad prop shaft seals, but my money is on the carrier. Make sure you use Merc perfect seal or the Johnson equivalent if perfect seal is not available. Also make sure the gasket is on the drain plug.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:37 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

take the guess work out of the mix and pressure test the outdrive with the prop removed and using a professional tester. We test every outdrive when gear oil changes and or finding water mixed. Drain gear oil first. We use the Stevens gear case pressure tester.

Use soapy water spray bottle mix and or dunk in a tub of water looking for the leak(s). Alot times you can have more than one leak.

I have brought up before IMO members up here should buy this tool and pressure your outdrive at least once per year. Especially at gear oil changes. Cost is around 140 bucks and how much is an outdrive ? I am lost why not many perform this form testing. The cost is peanuts for buying the tool and DIY. Just saying
Old 07-11-2016, 01:38 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

BUP, just curious what psi do you pressure test to??? 15psi?????
Old 07-11-2016, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
take the guess work out of the mix and pressure test the outdrive with the prop removed and using a professional tester. We test every outdrive when gear oil changes and or finding water mixed. Drain gear oil first. We use the Stevens gear case pressure tester.

Use soapy water spray bottle mix and or dunk in a tub of water looking for the leak(s). Alot times you can have more than one leak.

I have brought up before IMO members up here should buy this tool and pressure your outdrive at least once per year. Especially at gear oil changes. Cost is around 140 bucks and how much is an outdrive ? I am lost why not many perform this form testing. The cost is peanuts for buying the tool and DIY. Just saying
Every other year- engine alignment and pressure testing of the outdrive -- very cheap insurance

3pointstar
Old 07-11-2016, 02:47 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Merc changed the testing and PSI procedure. I will post all of it later. have to run.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any way you could post the procedure? I couldn't find it online