King Cobra questions on a new to me boat >

King Cobra questions on a new to me boat

Notices

King Cobra questions on a new to me boat

Old 08-17-2016, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default King Cobra questions on a new to me boat

I bought a 90 Advantage it is 30 ft and has a single motor and this is my first boat. It has a King Cobra outdrive and it is the cone style and not the dogbone. I have tried to find some legitimate information on how much HP this can handle but have been unable to find anything from OMC online. I also understand that parts and service for this King Cobra may be a problem. Currently my plan is rebuilding the motor, it is a 540 BBC and I am planning on a 600 hp NA goal, and put the boat back together and run it for 2-3 years then upgrade the King Cobra to something newer that can take some power. I just want to get the family out and start enjoying the boat.
My questions are does anyone know how much HP these can take without causing issues? I have been told by the old owner to not jump the boat and get the outdrive out of the water as it will tear it off. Is this true?
Does anyone have any online sources for parts or tech for these outdrives? (I have found some information but not a lot)
Anyone have any tips or tricks, do' or don'ts on these?
Thanks
Scott
Old 08-17-2016, 09:03 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Parts are all but non available for that drive.\

I would not add any extra stress to it.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the response, and yeah that is what everyone is telling me. I bought it because I felt I got a pretty good deal and enjoy doing my own work. So if anyone does have any info or experience with these it would be appreciated as I am only shooting for 600 NA hp (at Tahoe it will not be this much). I have also been doing my homework on what I want to replace it with and there are a lot of choices and some much more expensive then others. What would you guys suggest for a replacement that is stout but not 10-15k? At some point I would like to put a blower on it as this will primarily be a tahoe boat and would need a replacement that can take over 800 hp.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All American Drive Service has been sourcing parts for these for some decent time now. Even making their own replacement parts... look them up. Good company!
Old 08-18-2016, 08:28 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Have a friend with one on his Donzi, about 550-600 hp. He's never had any issues other than the cone clutch needing to be replaced twice in the last decade or so.

The last time it needed a cone clutch I did the work for him.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558458[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558459[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558460[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558461[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558462[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails King Cobra questions on a new to me boat-king5.jpg   King Cobra questions on a new to me boat-king4.jpg   King Cobra questions on a new to me boat-king3.jpg  

King Cobra questions on a new to me boat-king2.jpg   King Cobra questions on a new to me boat-king1.jpg  
Old 08-18-2016, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

believe it or not,imo the king cobra is a better drive than a bravo drive.the main problem is finding parts for them.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:49 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
believe it or not,imo the king cobra is a better drive than a bravo drive.the main problem is finding parts for them.
Agreed !!!
Old 08-19-2016, 12:53 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I tend to agree as well... The parts are a lot stronger... If the cone clutch was a fully hardened piece like the Merc clutch, it probably wouldn't wear out. The steel pod that the gears sit in is a neat concept and the clutch shaft is almost the size of the clutch shaft in my BMax drives. Much more stout.