Lower drive discoloration >

Lower drive discoloration

Notices

Lower drive discoloration

Old 09-08-2016, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TCBoss302
Called IMCO just to verify and they confirmed what the Bravo Shop told you. They said lots of things can cause this type of discoloration on the lower unit, so nothing to be concerned about. They didn't say ignore all discolorations, but this color can be called by lots of things, but not a heat issue.......knock on wood!!!
Good deal. Funny thing, was changing oil in the boat yesterday and just happen to be looking around on my MYCO aluminum trailer and there are a couple spots near the rear that are rosey... I'm sure the trailer hasn't gotten that hot!!
Old 09-14-2016, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nuke,

By chance did you buy any of the Ring-go the guy on here on OSO was selling to clean your hull? I'm thinking that's what caused my lowers and aluminum upper caps to turn rosey colored. That stuff is potent as hell if you don't rinse it off well. I laid an applicator face up on my work bench with some Ring-go left on it and within about 3 days, fumes from the applicator had rusted every metal tool/part on my bench. I took the applicator out and put it by my water hose on my concrete driveway and the stuff ate away at the cement and discolored the concrete all around the applicator. The stuff is a pink-ish color and I did use it on my drives. Good news is I took some small grit sand paper and cleaned them up.....they look new now. TC
Old 09-14-2016, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TCBoss302
Nuke,

By chance did you buy any of the Ring-go the guy on here on OSO was selling to clean your hull? I'm thinking that's what caused my lowers and aluminum upper caps to turn rosey colored. That stuff is potent as hell if you don't rinse it off well. I laid an applicator face up on my work bench with some Ring-go left on it and within about 3 days, fumes from the applicator had rusted every metal tool/part on my bench. I took the applicator out and put it by my water hose on my concrete driveway and the stuff ate away at the cement and discolored the concrete all around the applicator. The stuff is a pink-ish color and I did use it on my drives. Good news is I took some small grit sand paper and cleaned them up.....they look new now. TC
No sure didn't. Since my hull finish was being cleaned (to the Kevlar) for most of the summer, hoping it will stay clean for awhile!
Old 09-14-2016, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah sometimes the water can cause that. The water in the Colorado river (Havasu) does some weird things to all metal. The IMCO lowers always looked like a rainbow coming out of the water there and anything shiny turned dull instantly. The water is very clean, its just very alkaline. CLR and a scotchbrite pad works good to shine up the raw aluminum, just wear gloves.