Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Bravo1 1:5 ratio vs 1:65 for strength and wear. >

Bravo1 1:5 ratio vs 1:65 for strength and wear.

Notices

Bravo1 1:5 ratio vs 1:65 for strength and wear.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

My buddy bought a 93 26' velocity P6 class race boat this spring.

It had a 1.65 gear drive on it...the engine that was in it didn't start coming on til 5k,
anyway, we ran it with the 26 bravo that it came with, then a 28 and then a 30, it ran 80 with the 30,
fast forward a few months, he has a new engine being built, and a XR (1.5 ) built for that too.

We put the XR on the boat with the current power, the best it would run is 73 with the 26 on it.

The 1.65 gear drive is a side water only pick up with the skeg cut down, the XR is a dual water pick up with the stock skeg.

The XR uppers do consume more power, but I cant believe the skeg and the 4 water pick ups in the front of the gearcase
would play that much of a role in the difference.

Must be some truth to the saying of a turning a big prop slower is more efficient.

The new engine ( with a much more user friendly power band) went in just days before the shootout, didn't get much dial in time, but
did manage to get it to 88 with a 30 and the XR...I have a set of 1.5 helical gears that I want to put in place of the 1.65's and see
what that will do
Old 09-09-2016, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Wow. I've heard of losing a mile or two an hour with the XR but 7 is pretty significant. Someone was selling 1.65 units in the swap shop and was selling the fact that the 1.65 were banned in a particular class of racing as they proved to be an advantage. That's just the Internet talking but it did make me wonder about it being an advantage. I'm only getting ~63 out of my 272 Islander and was wondering if the ratio/prop combo was holding it back on top end in trade for the jump out of the hole.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:00 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

On my 28 Pantera, it came with lower with a nose cone and standard side water pickups.
I wasn't getting enough bow lift and switched the lower to a DWP. I got slightly more bow lift and picked up 1mph.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
On my 28 Pantera, it came with lower with a nose cone and standard side water pickups.
I wasn't getting enough bow lift and switched the lower to a DWP. I got slightly more bow lift and picked up 1mph.
Did the new lower have a nose cone?
Old 09-10-2016, 09:43 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
Wow. I've heard of losing a mile or two an hour with the XR but 7 is pretty significant. Someone was selling 1.65 units in the swap shop and was selling the fact that the 1.65 were banned in a particular class of racing as they proved to be an advantage. That's just the Internet talking but it did make me wonder about it being an advantage. I'm only getting ~63 out of my 272 Islander and was wondering if the ratio/prop combo was holding it back on top end in trade for the jump out of the hole.
. The 1.65 gear helped a marginal engine perform better throughout the entire rpm range, what I failed to mention earlier was that the XR on the original engine was also a pig on acceleration, even dropping to a 24 pitch prop didn't help with the acceleration, I think it is a combination of things, the XR uppers are probably worth 1 or 2 mph, prop efficiency and the ratio and the skeg and possibly the water inlets are the rest
Old 09-11-2016, 12:36 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Did the new lower have a nose cone?
No. Stock new take off Merc lower DWP case
Old 09-12-2016, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost24
The efficiency advantage of the 1.65 with a steeper pitch prop I spoke of is with other things being equal, including slip. If the product of the steeper prop pitch and the 1.65 gear drive equals the product of the shallower pitch prop and the 1.5 drive, the two combos are effectively geared the same to the water. Other things being equal, speed would be the same at the same RPM. However, there is a school of thought that not all other things are equal--rather, that the 1.65 with the steeper pitch prop means lower speed of the prop turning and fewer turns of that prop through the water at the same BOAT speed. Thus, the drag of the blades through the water is less with the 1.65 and the steeper pitched prop.

I can't swear this is true, but I would expect it to be true and I know of at least one boat that has suggested it's the case. Again, other things aren't all equal. But this is an argument that one factor of the higher reduction in the drive and the steeper pitch prop means less drag at the same speed, and thus more speed by wasting less power to resistance.

I expect any gear ratio that is further from 1:1 would be harder on the drive. How significantly different I don't know. Given that failures happen, by definition, at the boundary of ruggedness, I would expect it would mean the 1.5 would survive SOME conditions where the 1.65 would fail. But to your point, how large the delta is, and thus whether it would be considered significant, I can't say.
There is a strength advantage with the 1.65 gear over the 1.50. The 1.65 gear is reduced with a set of gears that are 23 and 30 teeth. The 1.50 is 27 and 32. The teeth are much thicker on a 1.65 set. Compare the two and you will see. There is also a mechanical advantage using the 1.65 over the 1.5 because as stated the prop doesn't need to spin as fast.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
. The 1.65 gear helped a marginal engine perform better throughout the entire rpm range, what I failed to mention earlier was that the XR on the original engine was also a pig on acceleration, even dropping to a 24 pitch prop didn't help with the acceleration, I think it is a combination of things, the XR uppers are probably worth 1 or 2 mph, prop efficiency and the ratio and the skeg and possibly the water inlets are the rest
The 1.65 ratio was banned in SVL class. We swapped out 1.50 because of the rule change. Was a move backwards.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:54 PM
Registered

I have a 1.65 b1x upper gear set if someone is looking.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:49 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Vortec Bandit
The 1.65 ratio was banned in SVL class. We swapped out 1.50 because of the rule change. Was a move backwards.
You're a proponent of the 1.65 setup?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.