Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Bravo XR drive life >

Bravo XR drive life

Notices

Bravo XR drive life

Old 11-26-2016, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because I'm putting 800 to 950 HP doesn't mean I'm going to use them all. I'm not building a practical racing boat. Consider it a 23 T bucket on the water. It's just for fun and kicks and giggles.
Just because the motor is capable of 800+ HP, doesn't mean the engine will weigh substantially more. I think we've all seen the guy from Sweden's 22 that does 112mph with a Dart 540 and Procharger. I'm guessing his HP around 800.
That said, I am beefing up the stringers. Why does the motor need to move forward?
Old 11-26-2016, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by imagemaker7777
Just because I'm putting 800 to 950 HP doesn't mean I'm going to use them all. I'm not building a practical racing boat. Consider it a 23 T bucket on the water. It's just for fun and kicks and giggles.
Just because the motor is capable of 800+ HP, doesn't mean the engine will weigh substantially more. I think we've all seen the guy from Sweden's 22 that does 112mph with a Dart 540 and Procharger. I'm guessing his HP around 800.
That said, I am beefing up the stringers. Why does the motor need to move forward?
If you don't know why the motor needs to come forward, you may want to stop while you're ahead
Old 11-26-2016, 06:02 PM
Registered

Really? This is your advise? I thought this part of the site was about supporting mutual boating interests. Helping, good, qualified advise. I voids you come out of the womb knowing everything about boating? I've been a recreational boater all my life. Been a hotrod enthusiast all my life. Spent a great deal of my adult life painting cars, building dozens of kick ass show quality hotrods. This is my fist attempt of building a hotrod boat. I'll be learning a lot. That's why I've asked for help before diving in.
Thanks for your smart ass advise!
Old 11-26-2016, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Really? This is your advise? I thought this part of the site was about supporting mutual boating interests. Helping, good, qualified advise. I voids you come out of the womb knowing everything about boating? I've been a recreational boater all my life. Been a hotrod enthusiast all my life. Spent a great deal of my adult life painting cars, building dozens of kick ass show quality hotrods. This is my fist attempt of building a hotrod boat. I'll be learning a lot. That's why I've asked for help before diving in.
Understand your frustration.

The reason it needs to come forward is because the 6 drive requires a transmission unlike a standard bravo that would normally come on that boat. I would say stay with a beefier bravo style drive. No need for a 6. As stated before- the 6 weighs a ton. Heck they can't even go on a 30 skater. Your boat will not be very heavy. Which is another contributor to bravo drive failures.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:17 PM
Registered

Thank you so much! This is the info I need. I do have a new XR with Imco lower. These are what's on my 35' fountain. I know the Speed 6s can handle more HP that's why I asked.
Again, thanks so much!!
Old 11-26-2016, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts
You are very welcome

Btw, go research the donzi section here or donzis.net to learn about the 22 before you go kill yourself. That boat runs very well with mild power. Don't want to see you end up like the gentleman at this years shootout in a 22 Donzi

Ps. Get ready for plenty of ball busting... Tough crowd around here during winter time. Helpful nonetheless if you can take a humble approach
Old 11-26-2016, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Back4More
Save thousands of dollars and time...
Drive Guardians
4 Blade props

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-80007...ian-bravo.aspx
Great option for rough water applications, or in addition to an upgraded drive.

NOT the answer to the bravo blues though.....
Old 11-26-2016, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Let's face it all- Bravo is a bad 5 letter word in our world! Lol
Old 11-26-2016, 06:55 PM
Registered

Getting back on topic of the original post. You caught the wear before catastrophic failure that is great. Time will tell next season, I am involved in a similar project. Boat is 40 V-hull, power is Teague 825, drives are Teague Platnum - very similar to Bravo XR. We are rebuilding both drives with all new internal components and installing Marine Design Corporation, Drive Guardians. I highly recommend you call them and call the references of race teams and customers they have. It is my belief that the gear face damage is done by torque spikes that are not always detected by the driver. You have established the existing life cycle to be 100 hours. The cost of the Drive Guardian will be absorbed if you double the life of the gears. All the options are expensive but eliminating the torque spikes make the most sense to me. At a minimum it will help reliability and give you a peace of mind running in rough water or aggressive speed situations. The Teague top cap is definately and improvement over Mercruiser, other than that the upper case is the weak link. I feel this is why the IMCO SC upper is better, the case is steel thus stronger, the gears are the same. Be sure to inspect the lower gears carefully. They carry the torque multiplied load because the upper gears increase the torque. The upper gears are more prone to metal to metal contact due to impact loading of the gear faces and the higher oil temps. The lower gear set case is usually in the water and the oil stays cooler and protects face impact better. These are just my opinions based on the gear wear and failure I have found. I'm hoping the drive guardian technology proves to extend the life of Bravo drives.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

It is donzi.net

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.