Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Bravo XR drive life >

Bravo XR drive life

Notices

Bravo XR drive life

Old 12-13-2016, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends if you have a high x or a low x . I think less blades is better with low x. ( deeper). With the high x i think more blades are better. My boat runs smooth with 5 and 6 blades . I tried 4 blades and they vibrate. I think because my props are 1/2 out of the water . Keeping vibration down is key on a Bravo . Secondary to lugging big wheels imo
Old 12-13-2016, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

Our boat came with an IMCO 3" raised box and no prop. I don't think the previous owner ever got the x-dimension/prop ever really dialed in. We tried a Maximus prop and the prop seemed to over power the hull (too much bite). We then added a 2" spacer and went to 30 pith B 1 prop and slip was in single digits but top speed wasn't there. We then settled on on 1.5" spacer and 32 & 34 pitch Bravo 1 props. The boat runs well with this setup however I'm still learning how to optimize trim depending on weight in the boat/water conditions/etc after 3 years! I'm sure the Maximus prop would work with more testing of x dimension & pitch but I'm just getting good with the Bravos.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

My apologies for not contributing to thread subject. We burned through 2 XR drives in 2 seasons behind 800HP and a light boat. I must admit I enjoy spirited driving though. Now running a SCX upper and SC lower with 1 complete trouble free season. However we're turning boost up and upgrading heads to counter the HP loss from SCX upper. We'll see how it shakes out.