Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts
Default Anyone running this gear oil

Bel-Ray Marine Mineral Gear Oil
Old 01-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For bravo? Why not just run NEO? Bravo shop is down by LOTO, not far from you. Best stuff I've ran and many can attest its good. My 2 pennies....
Old 01-18-2017, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure about now but some time back (several years) Bel Ray was the company that made Mercury's gear lube.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:36 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Its Bel ray lowest shelf marine gear oil in which is the same as Merc Hi perf gear oil since 1992. It has become a weaker blend because of lesson amounts of Antimony additive added in the mix because it is very toxic for the waters and marine life.

Last edited by BUP; 01-18-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Wow, did you cut and past that from their ad, I asked if anyone was running it

Marine Semi-Synthetic Gear Oil is a high performance, synthetic blend, gear oil engineered specifically for marine applications. It is formulated utilizing the most advanced Extreme Pressure additives, delivering superior protection for high torque/high horsepower marine engines. GL-5 rated to provide maximum protection under Extreme Pressure and exceeds the requirements of all major OEM marine engine manufacturers. It has been formulated without hazardous chemicals, like Antimony, that could harm the marine environment, making Marine Semi-Synthetic Gear Oil safer to handle and easy to dispose of after use.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:22 PM
BUP
Banned

emmmmm - NO as to any copy and paste plus I do not read any of their marketing - I don't need to.. You asked about the Bel Ray Mineral gear oil inwhich is NOT a synthetic at all. Here is what Bel Ray Mineral gear and Merc Hi Performance gear oil has in it exactly the same Mineral oil - Antimony and Moly are the 3 main blended into the mix. The Mineral base if I recall is a GL 4 --- 80w 90 - the Bel Ray semi syn gear oil is not the same as that is Bel Ray mid tier marine gear oil.

And yes we do use it because many want OEM stuff in their boats. It gels up in the lube bottle and you can not use it for Volvo apps

Its the EXACT SAME because Bel Ray makes Merc Hi Perf gear oil for Merc --- so what else do you need to know about it ?

Does nothing different than Merc Hi perf gear oil that many use in their Bravo's - gels up in the lube bottle exactly the same to and does not hold up well against oxidation nor adds longevity to high HP with bravo's.

Did I leave anything out oh yes Bel ray sells it cheaper than Merc hence why boat dealers buy it and has forced Merc to lower their wholesale price lately because they are losing market share with it. Hope this helps about using it

Last edited by BUP; 01-18-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:50 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Never heard of the Bel Ray. I would use the Bravo Shop NEO gear lube. More expensive but will last twice as many hours.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

I buy this cheaper than the Merc Hi-Po. Magnets are much cleaner, doesn't gel in the bottom of the reservoir, and doesn't darken up like the Merc does.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone running this gear oil-amsoil.jpg  
Old 01-19-2017, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP

Its the EXACT SAME because Bel Ray makes Merc Hi Perf gear oil for Merc --- so what else do you need to know about it ?

Does nothing different than Merc Hi perf gear oil that many use in their Bravo's - gels up in the lube bottle exactly the same to and does not hold up well against oxidation nor adds longevity to high HP with bravo's.

t
BUP, What oil do you recommend? Stock Bravo X 496HO application. Have used Merc Hi Per with no failures for 20+ years but tired of the sludge in reservoir bottle and high price for a non synthetic gear oil.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:58 PM
BUP
Banned

Driven gear oil

and

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/0...-theyre-false/

Driven has and Mr. Lake Speed Jr. has always taken the time to answer all of my questions and recommend what is best suited in their line up for marine apps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.