Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Help ! Powder Coating Transom Assy and Drives. Does it Last ? >

Help ! Powder Coating Transom Assy and Drives. Does it Last ?

Notices

Help ! Powder Coating Transom Assy and Drives. Does it Last ?

Old 02-19-2017, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Exclamation Help ! Powder Coating Transom Assy and Drives. Does it Last ?

I have a customer wanting to powder coat the transom assy and drive on a 26 Eliminator . Does it last ? I've always used epoxy primer and urethane paint.
He has a customer in powder coating and they want to trade out some work. I just don't want it to come off ,and then I have to say I told you so!
Old 02-19-2017, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Salt water no good. If it's fresh no problem. The problem is if it chips or a deep scratch and even where the threaded holes are, once corrosion starts it just keeps lifting it off everywhere especially in the salt water
Old 02-19-2017, 03:25 PM
Registered

Thanks Class6 , this is a fresh water boat only , trailer queen , Ive blasted the parts just to have a good substrate regardless of coating , but don't seem to be able to talk him out of the drive powder coat . We PCed everything inside the boat and it looks great.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The drive will have to be disassembled and flushed of oil. Any oil residue will cause a problem. IMRON paint is just about bulletproof. AND no disassembly required.
If you do the transom assembly don't forget to remove and replace the lower fiber bearing. I don't know if it will keep it's shape at 400*
Old 02-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Registered

everything is stripped , we have stripped and cleaned everything on the transom , in preparation for the coatings. I,m just worried that the PC will peel off
at the Speeds that thw boats will see.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i just talked to a powder coater saturday about coating a transom assembly for one i am working on,it stays in lake michigan all summer long,this guy has been in the powder coating buisness for a long time and knows his business.he told me that even in fresh water powder coating was not the best choice,he recomended using a good primer and high quality paint.he could have just took the job but he was honest and said if he did the job and it peeled[he said it will] he could not stand behind it.i left it with him ,he is going to soda blast it and i am going to paint it.i have seen powder coat peel off things like drives&extension boxes.this is just food for thought,i am not telling you what to do.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:08 AM
Registered

Thanks Mike , I hate to hear about the Extension Boxes..... They already coated this one.... We did blast the Parts with 40/70 fine crushed glass so
it should have a good profile for the Powder to stick too , Maybe it will help alittle . Make sure after you Soda Blast your parts , clean them very good with
soap and water and Neutralize with vinegar. I know most paint companies wont stand by there product if the substrate has been Soda blasted.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not just get this is writing to the customer - explain the risks and the ramifications - In my world as long as I have become aware of an issue - let me make the final decision and then I have to live with it. It's not being a hard nose or anything like that just being 100% honest with the customer.

All the best

3pointstar
Old 02-20-2017, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 3pointstar
Why not just get this is writing to the customer - explain the risks and the ramifications - In my world as long as I have become aware of an issue - let me make the final decision and then I have to live with it. It's not being a hard nose or anything like that just being 100% honest with the customer.

All the best

3pointstar
that is exactly what my powder coater did.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not just use IMRON?
It is the only paint that I have found that will hold up to the sandy water at Hardy Dam.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.