Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Upgrade Time (Steering/Box/Shorty) >

Upgrade Time (Steering/Box/Shorty)

Notices

Upgrade Time (Steering/Box/Shorty)

Old 03-31-2017, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade Time (Steering/Box/Shorty)

I think its probably time to do some upgrades to the ol boat and see if I can make it faster. Current setup is on a 1991 Eliminator 24' Fundeck (Daytona bottom) with a stock Bravo 1 and should be about 600-650 hp. The prop shaft should be about 7.5" below the boat so I know that needs to come up, and a lot. WIth the current setup the boat will run about 65-70mph at elevation (where I do most my boating) and around 80 mph at sea level.

Steering: At what speed do I really need to consider upgrading the steering to full hydraulic? The drive feels good and tight now and have never had any problems at the current speeds. (granted will have to do this if I go with a box)
Box: Is Stellings still in business? They don't seem to have a web site any more. I don't have room under the engine hatch to raise my motor to use the IMCO box.
IMCO Shorty: Want to go -3. What dealer has the best prices on IMCO stuff.

Anyone done these kinds of mods on an older daytona? I have heard they really wake up.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

First you should have Hydraulic steering at your 65-70mph range.

Stellings is no longer in business.

You can get a -2 Sportmaster lower but will probably loose a little speed until you get over 80.

You can find IMCO stuff at most places, Hardin Marine or Teague would be a good place to start.

Would be a good idea to talk to IMCO directly tell them what you are doing and they will help you out.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:22 AM
Registered

Thanks. i figured that full hydro steering was probably needed and living on borrowed time. But its a big fat bummer Stellings is out of business... Guess a box is probably out of the question for me since I have no room in the engine hatch.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would start with good steering. This will save stress on your gimbal and probably pick up a little on the top end just keeping her going straight. Then try the shorty.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

im in the middle of major upgrades too,just had both of my new motors raised 3" and they cut the hatch and put a box in it for clearance.i should still retain my stock sunpad.may be an option for you too.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Registered

Thanks but I already have a box in the hatch and the top of the spark arrestor is still touching it. . So to redo it would be a non flat deck and not really crazy about that.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Registered

I think I will just do the steering first and then a -3 shorty.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:15 AM
Registered

I got the steering done this weekend. And I must say yes what a difference! I had to move the swim steps up to clear, but the wife is really liking the addition of the swim ladder.