ID of TRS gimbal bearing >

ID of TRS gimbal bearing

Notices

ID of TRS gimbal bearing

Old 07-13-2017, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ID of TRS gimbal bearing

Need to know the inside diameter of the Gimbal bearing on a TRS drive. Installed a new one from BAM think it is the correct part, but the TRS drive will not slide into place. I think the yoke has some rust on it and the diameter is increased. Need to remove some material from shaft to fit into bearing.

So if anyone has a Gimbal bearing that could measure the inside diameter I would appreciate it.

THanks in advance
Old 07-15-2017, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...avo-1-a-2.html

page 2 post 11.
3rd step fits bearing.
the alignment tool works on alpha - bravo and trs.
if your drive is not going on easily it could be an alingment issue.
mercury sell the alignment tool as a kit (shaft, the trs special plate and merctrans thread on adapter.

Last edited by outonsafari; 07-15-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First off the TRS doesn't have a gimble bearing. It has a bearing in the transmission tail housing. What transmission do you have? MercTrans or Borg Warner? Can't you just clean the rust off with some sandpaper? Are you turning the prop shaft a little back and forth so the splines will align as you push it in place?
Old 07-16-2017, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If BAM sold it to you it is the correct part. Do you have access to an alignment tool? Even an alpha-bravo style will help. It will tell you if shaft should fit and you can sorta eyeball the alignment to the ring the drive face mounts to in the bell housing.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's the Merctrans it has the short shaft, they're always a little harder getting it in. Alignment must be perfect and you must use the disc that fits into the bell housing to
properly align it. As said, it's not a gimbal bearing but if you told Bam what you had they most likely sent you the right bearing.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input.

I know it is really not a gimbal bearing but BAM calls it such and it is indeed the correct one.

I wanted the ID because I could not get a good read on it. But after some fiddling I got a decent reading and then measured the shaft and then started sanding until I was at that number -.001 used a little oil and it slide right into place no big deal.

Thanks again.