Notices

Bravo 1X Question

Old 08-09-2017, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo 1X Question

My bravo 1 upper failed a while ago, so since I had to rebuild/replace it, I decided to upgrade to the Bravo 1X, and bought a reman 1X from Jasper Engines.
A friend of mine just pointed out that the Bravo 1X should have the finned top cap, which the one I purchased does not have. Is there any other way to tell if what they sold me is in fact an X, or just a standard Bravo 1? Were the 1X drives ever produced with the smooth top cap?
Evidently the serial number plates are just decals, and the unit was completely stripped and repainted during the reman process.
Thanks.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

The easiest way to tell is look at the pinion retainer nut, if has the holes around the outer circumference for the wrench, it's an X , if it has the nut with the tabs for the wrench, it's not.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
The easiest way to tell is look at the pinion retainer nut, if has the holes around the outer circumference for the wrench, it's an X , if it has the nut with the tabs for the wrench, it's not.
Excuse my ignorance but where is the pinion retainer nut located? Is there a way to tell without removing the drive?
Thanks.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

It's right behind the u joint, you would have to remove the drive to see that, there really isn't any other way to tell without removing it... the ribbed top caps can be added to a std. Bravo for that matter... rhe earlier x/XR's didn't have ribbed top caps

Last edited by JaayTeee; 08-09-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at the tower. Just pop the top cap off
Old 08-10-2017, 09:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
It's right behind the u joint, you would have to remove the drive to see that, there really isn't any other way to tell without removing it... the ribbed top caps can be added to a std. Bravo for that matter... rhe earlier x/XR's didn't have ribbed top caps
You are correct.....Spoke with Mercruiser. First year production, sloped back case X's did not have the finned caps. Of course that simply means it "could" be an X,
Old 08-10-2017, 09:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by class6
Look at the tower. Just pop the top cap off
Once the cap is off, what am I looking for?
Old 08-10-2017, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

I have a 1x without a finned top cap.