Notices

Drive Guardian

Old 06-26-2019, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Apexwarrior
Drive Guardian is a clutch that is primary designed to absorb the shock of a prop reentering the water.

I'm no expert and suggest you reach out to Performance Marine/Saris Racing who sell and race with it. They will tell you in racing applications it greatly extends drive life, as they are constantly launching the boat.

Not sure it will help all that much in a heavy boat with big hp in flat water..
When I looked at the original data I was amazed at how fast the TQ spikes could be,,,,,,,,, When people say throttle good no way can you with what the data showed.
I find here that running fast across swallows in wind chop is hard, the boat is pretty much skipping across the top and I have heard the props break lose and grab before there is any way to catch it. Its not like the boat comes out of the water as much as it just breaks lose very fast and grabs but you don't even feel it.

In that type I would have to think having what is basically a slipper clutch has to help the drive shock.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Snap, but when cruising you are at partial throttle which means you are not making max torque.
Full throttle at that rpm, yes. Partial throttle, no.
I understand that, but could you please explain that to my drive.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
I have one on a 28' cat with blower motor. I can't tell that it has helped at all. I destroyed the upper gears in an IMCO SC in about 10 hours. Drive broke again in about 8 hours after rebuild with new upper and lower gears. I haven't taken it apart yet to see what broke. They are certainly a well made piece, and for moderate HP would probably help, but not in my case.

28' Advantage Sport Cat
565ci/420 megablower
880hp/910tq

Both times my drive blew, I was just cruising around 70mph on flat water. Of course that is around 4000rpm where the engine makes max torque.
Anyone have a SCX they are looking to part with?
At 4000rpm on flat water, the Drive guardian isn’t doing anything since it’s designed to slip at ~10% above max torque. IE it’s not the drive guardians fault that your drive keeps breaking. Even with 900ft-lbs, that IMCO SC should live for a long time unless you really hammer the throttles. Sounds like something else’s is up with the drive or it wasn’t assembled properly..?
Old 06-28-2019, 06:45 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I understand that, but could you please explain that to my drive.
Alot don't understand that, and state the same out loud, so making sure and letting others know.

I hate drive problems too. Sucks azz !
Old 06-28-2019, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Snap, but when cruising you are at partial throttle which means you are not making max torque.
Full throttle at that rpm, yes. Partial throttle, no.
I had a 720 HP ProCharged 280 Velocity that would always break on glass flat water decelerating. Would blow the top cap off the drive, after 7 I went with B-Max and never broke another. I'm not making anywhere near that HP but have twins now so running similar speeds and am hoping this may be a less expensive option.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44

At 4000rpm on flat water, the Drive guardian isn’t doing anything since it’s designed to slip at ~10% above max torque. IE it’s not the drive guardians fault that your drive keeps breaking. Even with 900ft-lbs, that IMCO SC should live for a long time unless you really hammer the throttles. Sounds like something else’s is up with the drive or it wasn’t assembled properly..?
I am as gentle on the throttle as possible. I haven't had time yet to tear it apart and see what broke.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:36 PM
Registered

Old 07-09-2019, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

looks like a typical high torque , clutch shaft failure .
Your making alot of torque around 4000 and your throtlle is probably 75-80%
Glass smooth has the most drag on your hull , I see it alot .
Guy just cruisein with the wife and Kids ...... Bang.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:39 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snapmorgan…. you need to send the guardian back to Mike for an adjustment if you have not done so already. Each Guardian is calibrated as best as possible for your set up. Breaking shafts comes from mismatched entry speeds. Call John at the Bravo shop. He has a bunch of nice shafts and for an XR
Old 08-05-2019, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have a SCX they are looking to part with?
I have a spare SCX upper that I'd part with. 1.34 gears. Zero time since Imco went through it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.