Gimbal pin wear on xr drive >

Gimbal pin wear on xr drive

Notices

Gimbal pin wear on xr drive

Old 01-06-2018, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gimbal pin wear on xr drive

Both my outdrives have a slight up and down play at the gimbal pin swivel point. (top and bottom pins) Do I need to replace the whole housing and hat or can it be fixed? This is a twin 100+ 36 Cat.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 417 Likes on 246 Posts

Tools

Had mine fixed here. Did a great job.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by TDSracing
Both my outdrives have a slight up and down play at the gimbal pin swivel point. (top and bottom pins) Do I need to replace the whole housing and hat or can it be fixed? This is a twin 100+ 36 Cat.
Do you have extension boxes, or are the engines mounted forward, where the rear mounts don’t rest on the inner transom plate ?

Last edited by JaayTeee; 01-06-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:45 AM
Registered

It does not have boxes. The engines are forward as it was originally a #6 boat.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

You can remove the transom assembly without removing the engine then... you probably have wear in the gimbal ring where it clamps to the pin, the pin also can rust, knocking out the seal, and ruin the bushing above it
Old 01-07-2018, 09:57 AM
Registered

I have everything removed, my shop says i need to replace the entire gumbal housing ring, basically the whole transom assembly. So does that mean there is no repare available?
Old 01-07-2018, 10:20 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dealing with this right now too, but a bravo boat. Both gimble rings shot. Added up the cost for new rings, steering pins, bellows kits, new bearings, mechathodes, trim senders, etc... basically everything but the rams, transom housings, and bell housings (which all saw enough time to make one think, hmmmm) the total was getting close to just buying new complete transom assemblies. A no brainer for me. Every part brand new and not having to mess with the old. Not sure if this runs true with your setup, but something to consider.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 892 Likes on 320 Posts

I have had J-R Marine do several gimble rings for me over the years and all were great. they fit the pin much better than a new ring from Merc. that and the fact that they weld them up and refit them the aluminum is probably better than the original casting. you wont be disappointed if you have them fix the rings.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Dealing with this right now too, but a bravo boat. Both gimble rings shot. Added up the cost for new rings, steering pins, bellows kits, new bearings, mechathodes, trim senders, etc... basically everything but the rams, transom housings, and bell housings (which all saw enough time to make one think, hmmmm) the total was getting close to just buying new complete transom assemblies. A no brainer for me. Every part brand new and not having to mess with the old. Not sure if this runs true with your setup, but something to consider.
Have you checked coastal marine prices? That is what we did on a buddies boat, much cheaper then rebuilding, everything was new in the box.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Have you checked coastal marine prices? That is what we did on a buddies boat, much cheaper then rebuilding, everything was new in the box.
Any idea how much stuff comes up when you google coastal marine???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.