Merctrans II shot gun cooler >

Merctrans II shot gun cooler

Notices

Merctrans II shot gun cooler

Old 03-06-2023, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Merctrans II shot gun cooler

I have a 24 pantera with a trs and merc trans. I see people posting about KC shotgun coolers are what to use to keep them alive with any power to them but i see theyre out of business. Does anyone have a recommended cooler to use that is comparable? Or anyone have one of these shotgun coolers for sale? Thanks for the help
The following users liked this post:
Colormegone (04-09-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Look up RD Cox out of Washington state on Facebook. I think he bought out the surplus of KC marine.

Last edited by Thriller62; 03-11-2023 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick,

I too have a 24x7 with TRS and MercTrans ii. Like you, I presume, I’m very limited in space in the engine compartment in terms of going any other route. I’d really like to hear from you regarding your rig. I’m a new member with very few posts so I cannot message you.

If you get a minute, feel free to either give a call or shoot a text message.

Old 06-26-2023, 05:17 AM
Registered

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

I'll be dealing with this issue myself over the next year.

The major issue aside from Meectrans fluid temp, is only the 1L Type F ATF fluid volume. Not a lot of thermal capacity.

I found the Wayback Machine Internet archive of the old KC Marine website. Unfortunately, there are no photos or diagrams of the gatling gun cooler. I suspect it's just a multi copper tube cooler.
​​
My solition has 3 options.

Fabricate a multi tube cooler in the stock location. Simple and effective.

Engine driven pump with remote reservoir, to circulate the ATF and push it through a good cooler.

Combine remote pump and cooler, and see if the pressure feed can plumb direct into Merctrans gerator pump feed gallery.

This would solve the weak gerator pump issue as well. Despite a 'fix' of the tolerance adjustment, I don't trust the pump...and it's hard to find parts.

​​Crank driven belt...oil pump solves a lot of issues.

I've also looked into elec pumps to circulate the ATF, but it's expensive for continuous duty elec option, and less reliability than crank driven.
Old 07-11-2023, 04:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you can do as an easy option to get the oil a little cooler is to connect the hose from where the seawater flows out of the cooler directly to a thru-hull.

I also did that, because before it went into my exhaust, but that is not the best solution.

The water flow is improved now and the oil is kept a little cooler.

To handle more power you can also add a friction plate. I have never done this before, but read that some did it.