Understanding, wet exhaust systems >

Understanding, wet exhaust systems

Notices

Understanding, wet exhaust systems

Old 06-02-2023, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Understanding, wet exhaust systems

Not new to boating, but new to wet exhaust and most of my boats were shaft drive. Couldn’t find anything about the topic on YouTube.

I’m trying to understand what’s normal and acceptable. Port and starboard side have different water flows. One side appears to have more water dumping on the outdrive and the other side appears to have more water coming out of the exhaust.

I’m sure there’s someway that these are balanced for proper water flow?

is it necessary for the drives to have water on them for cooling? I’m assuming so since I’m reading stuff about drive showers

I’m about to pull the thermostat housing and see if one side has a thermostat stuck open or if the thing has any thermostats at all 🤦‍♂️

(Port side has just a trickle of water coming out of one of the small tubes but the picture didn’t capture that Makes no difference if it’s in the lake or on the hose. It’s the same. New pumps)

Appreciate any feedback!

Last edited by CaptainChazz; 06-02-2023 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 797 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainChazz
Not new to boating, but new to wet exhaust and most of my boats were shaft drive. Couldn’t find anything about the topic on YouTube.

I’m trying to understand what’s normal and acceptable. Port and starboard side have different water flows. One side appears to have more water dumping on the outdrive and the other side appears to have more water coming out of the exhaust.

I’m sure there’s someway that these are balanced for proper water flow?

is it necessary for the drives to have water on them for cooling? I’m assuming so since I’m reading stuff about drive showers

(Port side has just a trickle of water coming out of one of the small tubes but the picture didn’t capture that Makes no difference if it’s in the lake or on the hose. It’s the same. New pumps)

Appreciate any feedback!

congrats on the boat

To answer your questions. exhaust water is not used for outdrive cooling. It’s hot…outdrive showers pickup cool water and dump them on the uppers and are meant to keep drives cool.

I would be more concerned about the difference between starboard and port engine water flow. Have you run the boat? How do the water and oil temperatures look? Are they the same or different? Depending on guage readings might require some investigation…the raw water systems are independent on each engine. They are not related at all.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what you have there is a semi dry exhaust. fully dry is when all your water would come out of those to fittings. what you have is some of your water enters the tail pipes to mix with exhaust while some of yours is run out those fittings above drive. I can't see in your pictures but there should be 2 hoses coming off your tail pipes right before your transome allowing most of the water to exit thru the fittings. look at the end of your tailpipes mine just have a small hole at the end its basically just so the tail.pipes will drain when the engines off. it could have sand or trash stuck in the hole Making more water come out of the fitting instead.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 250ekelly
what you have there is a semi dry exhaust. fully dry is when all your water would come out of those to fittings. what you have is some of your water enters the tail pipes to mix with exhaust while some of yours is run out those fittings above drive. I can't see in your pictures but there should be 2 hoses coming off your tail pipes right before your transome allowing most of the water to exit thru the fittings. look at the end of your tailpipes mine just have a small hole at the end its basically just so the tail.pipes will drain when the engines off. it could have sand or trash stuck in the hole Making more water come out of the fitting instead.
cool thanks, yes there are 2 hoses at the end of the exhaust just inside the transoms. I'll check it out.