Water in shift pocket of bravo 3 >

Water in shift pocket of bravo 3

Notices

Water in shift pocket of bravo 3

Old 05-07-2024, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Water in shift pocket of bravo 3

Hey all. I pulled my drive for annual maintenance and noticed water sitting in the shift pocket . The orange oring was intact, and the shifter bellows was replaced last season. I don’t see any obvious issues with anything. What would cause water to be sitting in that area that I could be missing?

Old 05-08-2024, 04:12 AM
Registered

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Is the gasket underneath the the shift cable nut?
Old 05-08-2024, 06:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ryanw10
Is the gasket underneath the the shift cable nut?
not sure. I did t do the work last year. I hired it out. How do I tell other than pulling the nut off?
Old 05-08-2024, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321
not sure. I did t do the work last year. I hired it out. How do I tell other than pulling the nut off?
It might be somewhat hard to tell. You should notice a small gap between the nut and the housing. Those gaskets are very easy to break if the nut is tightened to much.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:01 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 954 Likes on 482 Posts

Was the o-ring replaced when it was serviced? Just because the o-ring is intact doesn't mean its got a good seal...especially if its re-used. Some o-ring materials can get a permanent set and wont spring back...trying to re-use one is hit or miss sometimes. Looks like they used a sealing compound but that only goes so far as well with heat/cooling cycles....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 05-08-2024, 08:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
Was the o-ring replaced when it was serviced? Just because the o-ring is intact doesn't mean its got a good seal...especially if its re-used. Some o-ring materials can get a permanent set and wont spring back...trying to re-use one is hit or miss sometimes. Looks like they used a sealing compound but that only goes so far as well with heat/cooling cycles....
I reinstalled the drive last year. I don't remember. I believe i did, but not sure. I usually just use 2-4-c grease on the orings to aid in sealing. I can replace the orings this season just to be sure.

It was suggested to me, that the oring on the back cover of the drive could be leaking water into the shift cavity. Any merit to this? Wouldn't this allow water into the drive fluid as well? or no?

#2 in the parts diagram.

Last edited by cloudmaster_321; 05-08-2024 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 130 Posts

Have seen this several times in the past...it was always the rear cover like you mentioned being warped. Have had good luck with removing the cover, use a big piece of emery cloth and a flat surface, and sand flat. Obviously replace all gaskets and torque accordingly. I would bet that's what it is...if you pull the rear cover, check for flatness top to bottom and side to side on the o-ring side of the cover.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
Have seen this several times in the past...it was always the rear cover like you mentioned being warped. Have had good luck with removing the cover, use a big piece of emery cloth and a flat surface, and sand flat. Obviously replace all gaskets and torque accordingly. I would bet that's what it is...if you pull the rear cover, check for flatness top to bottom and side to side on the o-ring side of the cover.
Copy that, I'll take a look.

One other thing to note, i installed the Simrek drive shower, and it bolts to the upper left using the cover bolt. I'm wondering if overtightening that could have done anything to cause a leak.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:57 PM
Registered

Default Oring glue

The manual references bellows adhesive for the rear cover orings? Really? I was going to use 2-4-c, or perfect seal. But I’d have to get the bellows glue. What do you all use?
Old 05-14-2024, 06:37 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 130 Posts

I just use a little grease or oil to hold it in place....Just my personal opinion but the o-ring should seal with nothing on it so adding any type of adhesive can hinder that...was never a fan of putting that sloppy bellows sh!t on anything hahahaha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.