converter box for nmea 2000 >

converter box for nmea 2000

Notices

converter box for nmea 2000

Old 01-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Default converter box for nmea 2000

Anybody know of a converter box to allow holley hp ecu to communicate with nmea 2000? I would like to tie a chartplotter network into engine monitoring in order to take advantage of the weather resistant properties of marine electronics.

Holley is talking about releasing their own display that is weather resistant but would not give any timeline when talking with them at Sema.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

What model Holley unit? Does it have a CAN connection?

If it uses SAE J1939 communication protocol, then there is a couple boxes that will work.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:29 AM
Registered

It's the holly hp unit. Not sure what it speaks
Old 01-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sure the hp box uses holleys own brand of protocol. The Dominator has two can outputs, but I still don't think it can be used to get to a nmea 2000 or J1939 output . Boost Power or Haxby Speed would probably have the best idea if there were a way to make it work. I think when the new display comes out it will have a nmea2000 output.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Registered

According to the manual, it has CANbus capabilities.

http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...R10555rev3.pdf

4.9 CANbus (CAN)
All harnesses have a CANbus communications connector.
This is used to communicate with CANbus devices,such as the Avenger Handheld tuning module or the 5.7” Touch Screen LCD.
If these devices or any other CANbus device is not being used, there is no need to do anything with this connector.

A24 – CAN Lo (Pin B)
A32 – CAN Hi (Pin A)

I also found an unrelated forum post from 2010 where someone was looking to do this same NMEA conversion. They reportedly contacted holley and was told those CANbus connections were for the devices listed above and nothing else. So, I'll do a bit more searching for ya and see if I can find where anyone has successfully used them for other purposes.

Personally I would just run a twisted wire pair to those pins and go find an old OBD-II connector from a junk car. Then add the hot and ground wires to that OBD connector and you'll have a port that any laptop adapter or scan tool can listen on. CAN is basically like the Ethernet for automotive industry, your not gonna hurt anything plugging in... IF they are using a standard communication protocol [which I'm guessing they do] then you'd be able to see RPM TPS and other standard SAE pid outputs with any tool. That would be the deciding factor on how to move forward with a NMEA / J1939 adapter plan.

These are the HP EFI plug in CANbus cable part numbers.

1 foot extension – Part Number 15663NOS
4 foot extension – Part Number 15665NOS
8 foot extension – Part Number 15666NOS
12 foot extension – Part Number 15644NOS

Last edited by kidturbo; 01-02-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:53 AM
Registered

There is a mini USB port that can plug into a laptop also on the ecu, so it would be easy enough with a tablet. I was hoping though of having the better characteristics of the chart plotter and the ability to tie everything together.
Thanks for looking into this.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe one of these might work

http://www.actisense.com/products/nmea-2000/emu1.html

http://www.nolandeng.com/rs11.php
Old 01-03-2014, 08:04 AM
Registered

Yeah I had the same thoughts, and seems easiest (cheapest too) to use, Windows chart software on a Tablet and also run the Holley software for the engine. I was thinking that you could run in split screen and use the program "eventghost" to allow the tablet to turn on and off with ignition and open and run those programs automatically. I was thinking of using the "polar navy" nav software, it has gauges that can be overlaid on the chart. (compass, speed etc) the gauges look similar to the holley "racepak" like gauge screen.(digital over blue-green back ground) Some of the newer tablets like the lumia 2520 have 650+ nits brightness. For the price of an analog to nmea2000 converter you could have the whole package.

Last edited by professor_speed; 01-03-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Registered

Yeah those are the best two options I'm thinking also.

The units Pstorti listed were my first thought, but then your doubling up on sensors thus adding to cost. There is several units out now that will do NMEA or J1939 digital conversion from analog sensors pretty cheap if ya shop around. But all that time and wiring, is better suited for retro fitting a carb engine with digital dash.

The J1939 to NMEA 2000 converters are only like $100 if you have devices speaking J1939 on a networks and just need to convert to NMEA for the marine chart plotter. But starting from scratch, maybe letting a computer become a chart plotter is the better plan. I still want to hook into those CANbus leads on a Holley and see what those units speak, but don't know anyone close with one. Online searching is not yielding any positive results.

Hopefully one of our member EFI tuners with more experience will chime in. Or as a Holley EFI customer, you could call tech support and pester them for the CANbus protocol details... Ask for a specific ECU Engineer, cause it's not gonna be the guy answering tech calls or selling parts. The question is, do they use a SAE communication protocol, and what CAN devices have they tested with??
Old 01-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Registered

Holley's tech line is not always the best but I have had engineers call me back. On that note they are super tight lipped about anything that "might" work, They will generally tell you if it is in the pipe line though. Basically because then tech lines go nuts, they don't give dates or comment on projects that are too far out. Moore Racecraft, did most of the beta testing of the holley efi systems and they seem to know more about the systems than most, or even Holley's tech line. Iirc Derek is lead tech at Holley he might have some insight, also Yellowbullet.com has lots of Holley efi users. (I'd check it for you but its in the race car and its all apart, and apparently Minnesota is actually colder than Mars right now, lol)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.