Which Sub/Amp route should I go

Notices

Which Sub/Amp route should I go

Old 01-23-2014, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Which Sub/Amp route should I go

Hey guys,
Planning to add some bass to the scout...

The head unit is a Sony CDX-M30
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158CDXM...8529025&awdv=c

I currently have 4 speakers hooked up to the radio. They are Sony XS-MP1621 2-way
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...9#.UuHufdLnbs0

A while back I bought two Sony XS-L100P5M Subwoofers
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...9#.UuHu7NLnbs0

I also have a pretty large Sony X-plod. I think this is the one I have...
http://store.sony.com/WFS/SNYUS/en_U...FUFo7AodkSYAFQ

I thought I was going to find a good place to install the 10" subs but, that has not happened. I really dont want to put them in a conventional speaker box and place it under the bow if I dont have to. Should I return the subs & amp and go with a Bazooka?

http://www.bazooka.com/products/mari...fied-Tube-P498

Really don't know much about either or which is the best way to go... What's your suggestion? Also, what size battery would you suggest? I definately do not want to go with two... Keep on mind, my duty cycle is at most a half hour.... I don't crank tunes for a long extended amount of time..

Jr.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

If your gonna run an amp. I'd recommend 2. I starting and 1 deep cycle. You can remote mount the deep cycle anywhere and it will run electronics longer.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
If your gonna run an amp. I'd recommend 2. I starting and 1 deep cycle. You can remote mount the deep cycle anywhere and it will run electronics longer.
Yeah, I guess I should have been clearer.. I have a starting battery and then a deep cycle for house battery. The house powers everything except the jack plate and engine... My goal is not to add another battery the the present count of two...
Old 01-23-2014, 11:28 PM
Registered

One deep cycle should do you fine for a while. I have mbquart nau460 amps. Haven't hooked em up. Puttin in dads 30 scarab sport. Gonna drive 2 jl 10s free air and 4 6.5s. Should sound decent.

I'd go with biggest deep cycle you can fit
Old 01-25-2014, 10:24 PM
Registered

Which subs you think I should go with? The ones I have or the tubes?
Old 01-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Registered

I was gonna run the jl free airs. I know they aren't as good as a sealed enclosure, but I've heard for free air the jls are the best.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If going Free Air, I would go JL. However, if putting them in an enclosure I would suggest Kicker or Rockford Fosgate. You don't need a marine sub unless they will be subjected to water/washdowns. I ran a Kicker L7 12" Sub in the cuddy cabin (under the v-berth and behind the port-a-potty) for many years without issue. Also the sound is much better from a sub if you can put it in an enclosure and put it somewhere in a cuddy cabin facing the bow. Similar to putting a sub in the trunk of a car facing backward. One L7 12" in my Velocity powered by a Kenwood 1800 watt Class D amp was much louder (and sounded much better) than everyone that had multiple subs mounted outside in the cockpit. Obviously not everyone has the room or cares to mount their subs in the cuddy. So each installation will be unique.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Im going to be running 2 MTX 10" marine free airs mounted on the front of the back seat. I have an oldschool hifonics zues to power them till it gives up, then I will get a marine amp. Should work with the free airs, that amp pushed 2 12's to ungodly volumes before.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Im going to be running 2 MTX 10" marine free airs mounted on the front of the back seat. I have an oldschool hifonics zues to power them till it gives up, then I will get a marine amp. Should work with the free airs, that amp pushed 2 12's to ungodly volumes before.
In my last boat I installed 2 10" MTX marine like you are mentioning in the cockpit and for the money they sounded great. If I didn't already have JL for my other speakers i would be running those 10" in my current boat.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
That old school hi-fonics amp is very inefficient compared to today's amps. It was an awesome amp in its day. It will perform well, however it will be a battery killer. Today's class d amps are much more efficient.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.