Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Electronics
What is the best tool to cut speaker openings? >

What is the best tool to cut speaker openings?

Notices

What is the best tool to cut speaker openings?

Old 04-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

Here's a DIY tip i just ran across and had a "why have i never thought of that" moment!! thought i would pass it along

I found this in a wood working mag....to drill a bigger hole from an existing hole they take the original hole saw and flip it around and put it into the bigger hole saw to use as a guide.....replace the drill bit with a 1/4" shaft you can pickup at any hardware store and cut it down to size so both hole saws hold together and drill away!!
Attached Thumbnails What is the best tool to cut speaker openings?-drill-larger-holes.jpg  

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 05-21-2015, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an awesome attachment to a drill. A bit expensive, but it helped me when doing a lot of work on boats.

http://www.grainger.com/product/HOLE...tter-Kit-4AYY5
Old 05-21-2015, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
Here's a DIY tip i just ran across and had a "why have i never thought of that" moment!! thought i would pass it along

I found this in a wood working mag....to drill a bigger hole from an existing hole they take the original hole saw and flip it around and put it into the bigger hole saw to use as a guide.....replace the drill bit with a 1/4" shaft you can pickup at any hardware store and cut it down to size so both hole saws hold together and drill away!!
Did that when I had to enlarge my transom exhaust holes from 4'' exhaust to 4.5'' exhaust. Worked great!
Old 12-01-2015, 05:16 PM
Registered

Great thread, need your recommendations. Planning to redo the sound system in my 340 Powerquest and was initially thinking of 4 of the JLs 8.8s and a 10" hidden sub. After reading the post about recommending 6 of the 8.8s and no sub got me thinking that would be the best for my application. Now the tricky part of all this is to find a place to mount them as high as possible which is tough considering how the side panels are designed. I should be able to mount a smaller diameter pair behind the blosters but don't believe the side panels are wide enough for the 8.8s. Then fit a pair of 8.8s at a higher location in front of the bolsters and another pair below the rear bench seat.
What are your thoughts on this, here is a pic of my cockpit... Guess I could also make changes to the side panels to fit around the speaker grills but that would be more of a "job" / time.
https://goo.gl/photos/H8Qo3546xo3QnRpq5
Old 12-01-2015, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have to have subs I think. I have 8.8s and subs amd they are both necessary. My old PQ had a decent stereo also, had subs.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info Keith.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
I just finished doing mine, since you haven't cut anything yet I would really try to bring up the 8.8's as far as possible. Just leave the existing speakers where they are down low. I installed 3 sets of 8.8's and I have more than enough bass without a sub. Good luck
[ATTACH=CONFIG]538639[/ATTACH]
jbraun2828, I just bought a JL 10" sub and have an idea where I want to put it, but not sure if it will work yet. Do you have any subs in your gun?
Old 12-16-2015, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cgpsu309
jbraun2828, I just bought a JL 10" sub and have an idea where I want to put it, but not sure if it will work yet. Do you have any subs in your gun?
No I didn't put any subs in my boat. The 8.8's are really impressive and have a ton of bass and I really don't think a sub is needed. I would put another set of 8.8's in just to be louder before I would put subs in. If you have 6.5's or 7.5's then I would think a sub is needed. The only spot I've seen them is under the bench seat
Old 12-24-2015, 09:29 AM
Registered

I use a Milwaukee Hackzall to cut holes out. It works on vinyl, metal, and fiberglass. Only use the blades that are narrow and short though, as they turn a lot tighter. https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2420-22

I was using an air body saw with a metal blade in the past, but when I was out traveling doing installs, carrying an air compressor wasn't practical.

As for speakers, you guys really need to look into the Wet Sounds XS or SW 808's. I'd put them ahead of the JL Audio's any day of the week.