Beta Tester Wanted >

Beta Tester Wanted

Notices

Beta Tester Wanted

Old 11-20-2014, 01:39 AM
Registered

Received 907 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Beta Tester Wanted

Hi guys, looking for someone to beta test a little device I've been working on with a small group of international maritime engineers.

YouTube Video Demo

We developed this powerful data logger and software to study the movements and forces exerted on boats at high speeds. Under various sea conditions. The groups goal is to create a baseline of normal operating parameters, from as many hull designs as possible. To accomplish this, we plan to use a crowd source approach that shortens the acquisition time. This data can then be use by designers and engineers working to develop advanced marine stability and safety systems. If this unit works correctly, probably build a couple dozen more over the winter. Possibly other interesting uses for this setup, since it can stream live telemetry data to any PC in the world.

For now we just need someone in a warmer climate than my own willing to stick this go-pro sized prototype on their deck and go boating. Then upload the data to so we can be certain it's working correctly. I've tested it on cars, trucks, and ATV's at up to 130mph, and it hasn't blown off.. But since no one around me seems to wanta go for a 100mph boat ride this week, I'm seeking a techie type with fast equipment that would like to try it out.

Let me know if interested.

Thanks

-K
Old 11-20-2014, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Not sure if you are interested or not but we take our boat from Tarpon Springs Florida to Clearwater Florida to eat Thanksgiving Dinner at the Islandway Grill. Its probably 30 miles or so give or take round trip. Our boat we use this time of year is not a fast boat. Its a hard top cabin cruiser. We cruise around 30. One thing I will tell you about that mount, It will not take a wave over the bow and survive. Waves have shearing forces and will rip it off. I use the same mount for my gps in the cockpit and it works well but it is totally dry I have a gopro that we use handle bar type clamping device to clamp it to the rub rail and that works well. It is however clamped to the hand rail on top of the hard top so it has never taken a wave up there. I have an auxiliary tether attached to it just in case. I have video on my google drive that has footage of us in that boat crossing the gulf stream to the Bahamas.. AKA the Bimini Crossing. There are a couple groups of footage where the gopro is taking footage clamped to the handrail. I would be happy to secure your device to the boat for the thanksgiving trip and or send you a video link to the Bimini trip. Email of call if interested. Friday or Saturday are best times to call this wk.

Chris Baldwin
[email protected]
Old 11-20-2014, 08:06 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,088 Likes on 1,390 Posts

You just missed a narly offshore Miami Race.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:28 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info Chris, I'll be in touch.

I chose that RAM "twistlock" because of it's low profile and larger base area than the GoPro system uses. For the weight it's holding, total overkill. I to have tested a fair amount of suction cup bases on boats over the past few years, most failed to impress. My other choice is the pump-up style mounts like SeaSucker uses. But they'd need to hold twice as good to be worth twice as much. So as you've noted, we went with a Pelican case on this prototype that includes a tether point for backup.

To acquire true and accurate angular data, this logger needs to be as flat to the deck surface as possible to avoid flexing and registering false readings. Making that same setup secure and removable without leaving a mark is the tricky part. Cause no one will wanna collect data if they have to drill holes or scrape sticky glue when finished. Good Velcro tape was my first choice... I'm waiting for the release of a newly designed waterproof case that is taller and may allow us to recess a vac mount into the case. With the goal of lowering the surface area that can be impacted by spray. Buoyancy and bright color is another advantage to this other case. The cost per unit on these data loggers is low enough that if a few go missing, it's not a huge deal.

SB; we hoped to get some onboard race boats during KW. A lot of valuable data could have been collected this year. However the idea wasn't embraced by JC as expected, so we escalated our request to god for next season. LOL. It's hard to replicate real race conditions, and ultimately that is a big part of the data needed to build an accurate baseline. PR boats and off season testing will have to do for now. But please pass along the topic to anyone who might be interested in participating. The data we collect will be anonymous in our study, only general hull and power description is needed. However the person logging it can collect more detailed sensor info to use as they wish.

Current selectable sensor data capture consists of:

Accelerometer
Gyroscope
Magnetometer
Gravity
Linear Acceleration
Rotational Vector
Orientation [Roll - Pitch - Yaw]
NMEA/GPS [Lon/Lat Quads, Accuracy, Speed, Altitude, and Heading]

We have the option to add CANbus engine data parameters, like sent to a chart plotter if there is a need.

Cheers,

-K

Last edited by kidturbo; 11-20-2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Added
Old 11-29-2014, 10:54 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If you are able to track / monitor "engine parameters & detailed sensor info" & data, I would think you can set this up persay as a diagnostic scan tool as well with key on - engine off and engine running. Do you have that option linked into your canbus adaption or a connection for the DLC to monitor inputs and outputs data of the ECM / PCM and or retrieve it afterwards ?

If so I would be very interested in any form of testing it. John

Last edited by BUP; 11-30-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:34 AM
Registered

This logger prototype is built around Android OS. So most of the hard programing work is already done. Would only require a Bluetooth CAN adapter that connects to a standard NMEA 2000 network plug. Then get our developers to change the a code so it records twin engine CAN parameters.

Anyone aware of Bluetooth adapters designed for wireless marine engine diagnostics that are already out there? Quick search I did, nothing jumped out at me. How about existing apps?

Also I didn't get a chance to ship this unit out to Blueabyss in time for his Turkey Day run. It's ready to go today, who's boating?
Old 11-30-2014, 10:53 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Marine MPI controllers are not standardized like the auto OBDII - the marine end will be looking into standardizing this in the short future but with that said the OEM's will have their own controller calibrated accordingly. All the marine OEM's do not have the same DLC = data link connector as of current for diagnostic scanning plus have persay a locked calibration..

The results you searched for is correct - there is nothing for the marine end as far as wireless / Bluetooth diagnostics nor cheap in price scan tool capabilities . The marine end is so far behind the auto world when it comes to the availability of diagnostic tools for ECM / PCM controllers.

The hard thing to believe is how detailed the auto side ECM is with the possible of 14,000 so called parameters. Of course some of that is because of EPA mandated for emissions. The marine OEM has to meet the new emissions standards. All OEM 500 hp and down for the inboard / I/O engines have the 3 way catalyst (just like the auto's) & 4 O2 sensors, this was started to meet CARB emissions in CA in 2008 and the rest of the USA in 2010..

Last edited by BUP; 11-30-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Registered

Thanks Bup, that answered most of my questions.

I understand most modern marine ECM's have built in underlying communication protocol J1939, same as automotive. Part of those CARB requirements. So they probably use standard SAE PID's like TPS, RPM, temps and pressure values. I'm betting ya could take a SeaTalk connector and mate it to a Bluetooth ODB II adapter pretty easy. That would cover a large percentage of late model stuff designed to pass engine data to a Grarmin or other plotters. Just tee behind the dash.

For the earlier (90's to mid 2000's) Merc EFI stuff, that was originally based off the Accel DFI stand alone ECM. Totally proprietary with no open communications protocols I'm aware of. So I'll do some reading on the late model standards and see what I can come up with. Writing an app is easy, long as we can get the data from point A to B easy.

Update

Little reading shows most modern Merc's still run Smartcraft protocol, while everyone else like Yanmar, C, Cat and others are either J1939 or NMEA2k. Slow to embrace change I see... But they really have no other choice when everyone else is now compliant. Luckily they sell a Smartcraft / NMEA2k adapter, which I'll bet is installed 90% of the performance boats built in past 5yrs. Here is the link to it.

http://www.brunswick-marine.com/medi...ll%20sheet.pdf

If your running gauges on a Garmin, or other plotter, then it's easy to just jack in the adapter I mentioned above and stream it to our logger or any other app for that fact. I put someone on the hardware requirements to go Bluetooth. Currently there is 1 WiFi / NMEA2k adapter out there on the market for $500, and nothing like the $20 OBD-II units so popular for automotive. Depending on engines, here is the parameters NMEA2k lists.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/PGN.html

If it helps get people interested in collecting the telemetry data we need for our study, I can make it happen. Maybe develop a stand alone engine monitor app on the side.

Last edited by kidturbo; 12-01-2014 at 04:37 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Kidturbo, Cool stuff! you should post on the "Skater" forum site on OSO. We are fanatical about this stuff. Yea, we all use the gateway on our Mercury stuff to connect with Garmin, etc.