stereo amp upgrade

Notices

stereo amp upgrade

Old 01-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonyb
The XDi is entry level. KS is the next step up.

I could name a hundred different combinations of amps between the brands......

SD4 to power the 4 pair of coax's, SD2 for the10's (that depends on the impedance of what you have though)
Syn4 and Syn2
(2) Arc 300.2's, 1 1200.1
Thanks for the clarification on the Arc XDI, I was not aware this is their entry level amp.
Waves & Wheels @ LOTO uses Arc amps & they are well known for their installs.

Well, I guess at this point the only things I do know is;
I want to run 4 pair coax's 100 watt RMS range and 6.5" - 7.5" size.
2 - 10" subs sealed box 800 watt ea.??
1 amp to run 8 coax's @ 1.5 x speaker RMS (150 watts)
1 maybe 2 mono amps to run subs @ 1.5 x sub RMS (1200 watts) I do like the Alpine R series subs, they pound.
All this is giving me a head ach, good thing I live in Iowa & boating season is several months away.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:16 PM
Registered

I've heard of waves and wheels. You may stop in and see those guys if you're somewhat nearby.

Stimleck, I disagree. I've heard them both, and both have their high points, but I don't feel like the JL speakers sound better than the Wet Sounds 650 or 808. A lot goes in to how their powered, signal, etc. If the ones you heard weren't powered correctly, or had **** for signal, it may have given you that idea.

Here ya go:

Old 01-05-2015, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jonyb
I've heard of waves and wheels. You may stop in and see those guys if you're somewhat nearby.

Stimleck, I disagree. I've heard them both, and both have their high points, but I don't feel like the JL speakers sound better than the Wet Sounds 650 or 808. A lot goes in to how their powered, signal, etc. If the ones you heard weren't powered correctly, or had **** for signal, it may have given you that idea.

Here ya go:
Whoever owns that Yellowfin is an animal I have had my 8.8's installed since they first came out and I use my boat almost every weekend in salt and they still look new. My 4 year old tweeters on my 7.7 components did die recently, one from corrosion and one I think was death by volume knob. I wonder how the Wetsounds would have looked with the same time and treatment?

I have a pair of the Rev410's and they do sound nice and they are extremely loud, (they should be with 585W each) but they don't sound as nice as the JL 8.8's up close. The other thing is since the have a horn they can't get washed with a hose, which is kind of a nuisance in a salt water environment.

Have you compared JL 8.8's and Wetsounds 808's in the same boat with the same power? Can you pm me your number, I'm curious about the Wetsounds 808's?

I do agree that JL has been resting on their laurels and are falling behind some of the competition, when it comes to big amps, tower speakers and marine subs. Which is sad they should make a marine W7AE version.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:33 AM
Registered

A better comparison of the JL 8.8's to something Wet Sounds in a can would be the Icon8's. The Rev410 are pretty impressive, but definitely a different purpose. They're built to be loud at 80' for wakeboarding.

I'll have to admit, death by volume does happen around here to

My old Supra that I sold a couple years ago still has the same system in it that it had when I sold it. At the time of sale, the install was 3 years old (other than the 6 Rev8's). It had 3 pair of XS-650's. As far as I know, everything is still good. When sold the 650's still looked new and sounded good. We don't have any salt here so I cant give a fair comparison. I do use the 650's a LOT in side by sides, and most have been underwater in the creek. I don't recommend it, but most have survived and still going.

I've had a few boats around here that I've added JL M Series speakers to. Those jobs included replacing amps, and adding 1 or 2 sets of speakers. They wanted the JL M's to match what was already in the boat - and most had the tweeter separated. 1 in particular is a Hustler Rockit that's for sale at LOTO now. Added a Syn4, Syn1, 1 set of M770's, and 3 XS10FA's under the bench. Amps and battery went underneath the cabin door. That boat sounded good, but I think it had more potential had we swapped the speakers.

I know all the guys at Wet Sounds and have been around them at SEMA and some other trade shows. All are great guys with a passion for this industry. Everything is designed and engineered in the states. When you dial their telephone number, you get an answer. That means a lot right there. I'm a small dealer in KY, but they still treat me like the guys that have million dollar stores.....

I'll PM my number....
Old 01-14-2015, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can definitely vouch for the guys at wetsounds, great guys all around. I've had wetsounds in every boat I've had up unitl the current Skater and have loved every one of them. I've probably installed 20 sets of XS650's in other friends boats and not one person has been disapointed, like most speakers in that caliber they do like power but when you give it to them they come alive. In a wakeboat I had with 4 or 5 sets of them I could turn off the subs and for a lot of music wouldn't even miss them their midbase was so good. That said I've got JL7.7's in the skater, because that's what was in it when I got it, and I'm very happy with them as well. Thet Rev 410 is a beast but like Jonyb said it's nto designed to listen to up close, but if you can get it above the boat and cranking they will hear you a half mile away and be singing the lyrics with you.

I've also heard great things about the Alpine and Arc amps, if you want a lot of good reading on their pros and cons go to one of the wakeboard forum sites, wakeworld, or malibucrew, those guys are audio fanatics and have tried just about everything. When they start builds they start in the 4K watt range, my last wakeboat was in the 6k watt range lol

My personal opinion is that unless you run in a harsh marine environment and expose the amps to the salt you really don't need marine amps, install them in the cabin and don't pile wet towels on them and you'll be fine.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can also vouch for Jonyb, I've got stuff from him in the past and always been very pleased.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

What amp would you guys reccomend for 4 alpine m700s? I run a mb quart now and Sony head unit but want to change both of this this year.

Jonyb, I'm an hour south of you and looking for a good head unit with wired remote. Let me know what you have please.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavor1
What amp would you guys reccomend for 4 alpine m700s? I run a mb quart now and Sony head unit but want to change both of this this year.

Jonyb, I'm an hour south of you and looking for a good head unit with wired remote. Let me know what you have please.
The amp depends on what you're budget is. I've got 3 Wet Sounds amps that would be great, but there's also future upgrades like adding more speakers or subs to keep in mind. The Arc amps are doing well, and that may be an option, I've also started stocking the Alpine amps recently and plan to try them out.

For a head unit, I keep the Clarion CMD8 and M303 in stock, along with the MW1 wired display remote.

PM me if you want my number, you can call anytime.

Here's a small part of my display - Clarion and Wet Sounds on this one:

Old 01-15-2015, 10:59 AM
Registered

Jonyb may I ask a question on the cmd 8...I am having a hell of time with the sub output..I can get it to work but is seem's so sloppy is the word or muted...soft is what I am trying to describe have you had any of the same issue's at all. Don't get me wrong I really like the head unit it takes a pounding and runs with no issues and look's great at the same time.

I should say this is in direct comparison to a pioneer dvd player I had in the boat the sub crossover was outstanding.....just the rest of it was not such a good ideal..
Old 01-15-2015, 11:09 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

jonyb, that's a pretty nice display of wet sounds audio, but you know the icing on the cake would be if you had some JL 7.7 or 8.8 on display.....
For those of us that don't know are you a marine dealer / repair or audio shop??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.