Recommend me a new stereo...

Notices

Recommend me a new stereo...

Old 03-09-2015, 05:30 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jonyb
Not really sure what caused it - that's not a boat that I did or have experience with, but if it's corrosion, shame on JL for having marine speakers that won't stand the elements. If they're burnt, it could go on the user or the fault of the speakers. Either way everybody raves about JL Audio, but I'm sitting here thinking they're marketing program works. Hyped up just like Paul Harvey did with Blose.
Thanks for the explanation. Obviously, something went wrong there. I'm sure there is a strong element of hype, but people do rave about them because they sound good. In my case, chances are tin cans and string are going to sound better than what I had in there and my needs are pretty basic. Hopefully, they will hold up. I went this route because a few friends have them and love them. Time will tell.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
Tommy are talking from experience, because it doesn't sound like it. I have two SD6 amps and a JL m1400 and they run fine for hours off of two group 24 advanced auto parts deep cycle batteries. The only advantage to expensive batteries is that they last 5 or 6 years instead of 3. The cheap ones have the same amp hours pound for pound.
Yes, I'm speaking from experience....had a customer with 2 SD6's and an SD2 and I tried to tell him he needed to upgrade batteries, but he didn't want to spend the extra cash at the time. He replaced batteries 3 times in a 6 month span before coming back to get good batteries. He also abuses his equipment, which may have something to do with it. At the end up the day we put 3 XS Power XP3000's, one per amp, and he has not had an issue since. He had the standard Interstate deep cycles, don't remember off the top of my head which ones.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by HyFive578
I've decided on my final setup. Fusion ip700 head unit with the wired remote. JL Audio MX650 speakers (the M650's flange is smaller and will not cover the impression in the vinyl left from the Fountain metal grilles). I also looked in to going with the 7.7's or 8.8's but I have some obstructions that are not removable so can't cut the holes larger than whats there now. Two JL audio amps for the 8 main speakers and the sub. Adding an XP3000 house battery hooked up to an ACR and will charge off my center engine and also be hooked up to my ProMariner Quad battery charger. Everything ordered and just waiting for it to arrive.. stay tuned for the install results.
I read somewhere? here that if you add the light up speaker rings for the 7.7's they will space them far enough out (if it's a depth issue) or on the 6.5's that it will sometimes cover the "imperfections" on the vinyl from previous installs...just another possibility. Cant wait to see how it turns out!
Old 03-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy1005
Yes, I'm speaking from experience....had a customer with 2 SD6's and an SD2 and I tried to tell him he needed to upgrade batteries, but he didn't want to spend the extra cash at the time. He replaced batteries 3 times in a 6 month span before coming back to get good batteries. He also abuses his equipment, which may have something to do with it. At the end up the day we put 3 XS Power XP3000's, one per amp, and he has not had an issue since. He had the standard Interstate deep cycles, don't remember off the top of my head which ones.
I guess the end user can have a lot to do with it, mine stay on a charger when not in use and I have the second house bank I can combine with a switch so they never get drained to low.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cranking it full blast on cheap batteries for a couple hours at the sand bar isn't the greatest idea......now he can do that all day long, plug it in at night and not have any issues. How things are used can definitely have an effect. Most people that want SD amps in my experience want them because they want the extra power that they can provide to their stereo and they typically like to play it loud. Thus, I always recommend to a battery upgrade up front. It's cheaper and easier for my customers to do it all at once and is a well spent $750 or so with the installation and cabling to put the biggest one they make in it. Not to mention, it saves me from the headache of having a customer call me at 2 on Saturday saying his system shut off and he can't start his boat. I will say the SD amps are great amps and extremely powerful and I put them in a bunch of boats, I just always make sure to throw a battery on them while I'm at it.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:56 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
I read somewhere? here that if you add the light up speaker rings for the 7.7's they will space them far enough out (if it's a depth issue) or on the 6.5's that it will sometimes cover the "imperfections" on the vinyl from previous installs...just another possibility. Cant wait to see how it turns out!
The M650's have a narrower flange; the MX650's are the "standard" size 6.5's so they will cover the impressions left from the old speakers no problem. Depth is not the problem, I can't go larger than the 6.5's because I can't make the holes any wider. My boat has a metal track that holds a door for the side compartments right below the current speaker holes, so widening those holes is a problem. And I can't shift the holes up because there is an upper compartment as well. I know the 6.5's will fit right in there.