Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Electronics
Ditching a head unit?? How do I do this? >

Ditching a head unit?? How do I do this?

Notices

Ditching a head unit?? How do I do this?

Old 04-16-2015, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ditching a head unit?? How do I do this?

Am tired of having a head unit...how do I get away from this ? I don't listen to radio, CDs...only Ipods or MP3 players.

What do I need to bypass this alltogether and just have input to run my amps (I''ve got 3, one for subs, and 2 for mids).
Old 04-16-2015, 03:52 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wet sounds has an equalizer that can be used as a stand alone unit.
https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/WS-420.html
Old 04-16-2015, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With multiple amps, I think you will still want/need something for pre-amp, sub levels and zone control.

WS unit is nice with several extra audio features but you will pay more for it than a HU.
I like the mid priced Alpine units with 3 outputs plus they have gone back to a 5v pre-out for 2015. "Marine" HU is irrelevant if you use any reasonable care and are not in salt water, IMO.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:58 AM
Registered

Yes, I don't need a marine version, my head unit is currently underneath in the cabin anyway. The WS thing looks interesting!
is there another way to tie multiple boats together, head unit/input wise? I see the WS equalizer has the ability to link up with other boats. This would be ideal!
Old 04-17-2015, 10:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rambocj7
is there another way to tie multiple boats together, head unit/input wise?!
Bluetooth repeater? One source, multiple output signals?

Last edited by Cole2534; 04-17-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rambocj7
is there another way to tie multiple boats together, head unit/input wise? I see the WS equalizer has the ability to link up with other boats. This would be ideal!
Lots of different ways to skin this.....
Tap the output from source HU or amp. 50' RCA cable and into the input of the receiving HU. Keep a couple different RCA to 3.5mm connection options.
Just watch out if they turn up HU volume, it will turn up downstream input signal so be careful to communicate or keep downstream volume level lower to protect.
C2G has tons of options - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-17-2015, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have a Garmin there is a unit that will interface with it and you can control your MP3s on your nav. Pretty cool. I'd do it if my Alpine wasn't doing such a great job cheap.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not go with a Fusion Head unit that has the internal ipod dock? We only use our iPod, but using the Fusion allows for multiple zones, volume control, remotes, etc. They are excellent units, especially for the money. If you go with the newer models, you can even add a wireless router and use a smartphone to control the system, and the newer ones are NMEA compatible so you can integrate with the Garmin and other GPS Brands. Also with the multiple inputs/outputs you can easily connect multiple boats/stereos together (allowing each their own volume controls). I have no ties to Fusion, other than falling in love with their products a few years back. If you want more info on the capabilities and setup of the Fusion head unit (and how we connect multiple boats together) shoot me a PM, I will be more than happy to expand a bit.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Fusion is a great option for sure. But this guy is wanting to simplify and that's doing quite the opposite.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Registered

Yeah, exactly. I want to simplify.

I have an older model (2010) Sony Marine Head unit with a nice wired remote.
Cheapest option is to just source anothe Sony marine unit. But I'm just wondering If I can eliminate a head unit all together?

I basically have this already:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-DSX-MS6...-/151607339673

But the head unit is dead...
Unless I can find another head unit that will work with that wired remote? I had to cut a hole in my dash to install it, so if I go with something else, I'm stuck with this 3.25" hole!
The head unit is in the cabin out of the elements, so I don't need marine version

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.