Gaffrig GPS Wiring >

Gaffrig GPS Wiring

Notices

Gaffrig GPS Wiring

Old 06-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gaffrig GPS Wiring

Picked up a Gaffrig GPS Speedometer w/ recall. Instructions sent with show the older style gauge wiring and the gauge included simply has wires coming out of it, no posts like the old style.

So far I have it wired as follows and it does not work, nor do anything at key on to find a signal. Only thing that works is the red back light comes on with my other lights.

Gauge: Red to power, Black to Ground, White to the Grey wire on GPS Receiver, Purple to same power as Red, Green to Top Speed recall switch which is grounded.
Antenna: Red to power, Black/Orange to Ground

Any ideas, have not gotten any movement out of the gauge other than the red backlight. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2015, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

try this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541989[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Gaffrig GPS Wiring-20140927_105414.jpg  
Old 06-09-2015, 11:33 AM
Registered

Yep, exactly how I had it, nothing. When I power on I get a buzz but the needle never moves. Buzzes for about 2 seconds and then quiet.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

You have the signal wired to your GPS, or an antenna? If you are using a GPS you have to go into the "setup" menu and enable NMEA output.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
You have the signal wired to your GPS, or an antenna? If you are using a GPS you have to go into the "setup" menu and enable NMEA output.

Yeah, I ran the white wire to the grey wire for the signal. I power on and don't have any action, needle doesn't move at all. How would you get to the "menu"?
Old 06-09-2015, 01:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
even if the NEMA is not turned on on a chartplotter it shoulod power up and cycle. Have you checked to be sure your red is getting 12v? ground is grounded? Dont take my word on this but it sounds like you have everything correct and you may have a dead GPS which Livorsi is no longer fixing. Hope you get it worked out
Old 06-09-2015, 01:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by drpete3
even if the NEMA is not turned on on a chartplotter it shoulod power up and cycle. Have you checked to be sure your red is getting 12v? ground is grounded? Dont take my word on this but it sounds like you have everything correct and you may have a dead GPS which Livorsi is no longer fixing. Hope you get it worked out
Yeah the 12v and grounds are both good. The back light works as well. I was thinking a bad unit but wanted to confirm I didn't have some wiring wrong first. I have an e-mail in with Gaffrig now for some help, thanks!
Old 06-09-2015, 01:59 PM
Registered

FYI for anyone else looking for the wiring info, I just got this from Gaffrig:

Wiring:

RED FROM GAUGE TO RED ON RECEIVER THEN TO +12VDC IGNITION POWER (usually purple or violet in a boat)
BLACK FROM GAUGE TO BOTH BLACK AND ORANGE ON RECEIVER THEN TO – ENGINE GROUND
WHITE FROM GAUGE TO GREY ON RECEIVER FOR SIGNAL WIRES
PURPLE FROM GAUGE TO +12VDC POWER FOR LIGHTING(usually blue in a boat)
GREEN FROM GAUGE TO ONE OF THE TERMINALS ON THE RECALL SWITCH AND THEN THE OTHER TERMINAL ON THE RECALL SWITCH GOES TO GROUND, THIS IS OPTIONAL. DO NOT HOOK GREEN WIRE OR SWITCH TO +12VDC POWER BECAUSE YOU WILL BLOW THE GAUGE OR RECEIVER.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Superman09
FYI for anyone else looking for the wiring info, I just got this from Gaffrig:

Wiring:

RED FROM GAUGE TO RED ON RECEIVER THEN TO +12VDC IGNITION POWER (usually purple or violet in a boat)
BLACK FROM GAUGE TO BOTH BLACK AND ORANGE ON RECEIVER THEN TO – ENGINE GROUND
WHITE FROM GAUGE TO GREY ON RECEIVER FOR SIGNAL WIRES
PURPLE FROM GAUGE TO +12VDC POWER FOR LIGHTING(usually blue in a boat)
GREEN FROM GAUGE TO ONE OF THE TERMINALS ON THE RECALL SWITCH AND THEN THE OTHER TERMINAL ON THE RECALL SWITCH GOES TO GROUND, THIS IS OPTIONAL. DO NOT HOOK GREEN WIRE OR SWITCH TO +12VDC POWER BECAUSE YOU WILL BLOW THE GAUGE OR RECEIVER.
That sounds like what you wrote in the beginning...........Is it working? What am I missing?
Old 08-18-2016, 12:25 AM
Registered

did this ever get figured out im having the same problem